Saturday, March 5, 2011

Contemplating food and flights

Today's menus and dilemmas:

Breakfast: French toast (with wheat bread and no syrup). Verdict: Cary - YES! Dean - Meh.
Snack: Banana YoBaby yogurt. (LOVED IT!)

Lunch: Rice cereal with harvest vegetables and applesauce. (Good ole baby food.)
Snack 1: Baby Mum Mums
Snack 2: Oranges in mesh bags

Dinner: Smushed grown-up chicken, with rice cereal and Gerber green beans and a banana YoBaby yogurt. Verdict: Cary - YES! Dean - YES! YES!

All in all, I think that was a good mix of baby food and grown-up food. And not too bad in the healthy department. But I don't know what I'm going to do when we run out of Gerber baby food in a couple weeks. Ugh.

Dilemma:

We're going to a friend's wedding in West Palm Beach in May and leaving the babies -- for the first time - for the whole weekend. More on that much later.

But in the meantime, the husband of a good friend has asked me to come to New Orleans with the whole family to surprise his wife (my friend) for her birthday. He's going to even pay for us!!! I haven't seen my friend since 2009, so I want to go. But this would be a major, major undertaking. And I'm not sure I'm ready to fly with the babies yet. I'm nervous about so many things: flying with the babies on our laps; traveling through the airport; sleeping arrangements (will they even sleep?); car seat schleppage; packing all their STUFF; keeping up with all their STUFF; their fish-out-of-water behavior, etc. etc.

So I could really use some advice from Moms of twins who've done this before. What do you recommend? Brave the unknown and go on a fun, free trip, or save ourselves the drama and go by myself?

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Absolutely go....we have travelled with our twins since the were born. Of course it's a lot of work but hey it's a lot of work everyday at home! The fun will outweigh the hassle. You can do it just make sure to do tones of prep ahead to make travel easier.

LauraC said...

We have traveled quite a lot with the boys and I will say it was SO FREAKING EASY traveling with them at that age. 15-24 months was SUPER DICEY then it got a lot easier again.

Here's my post on a trip with the boys at 10 months old:
http://jonandlaura.blogspot.com/2007/04/home-sweet-home.html

It would have seriously helped if ONE PERSON in Florida had ANYTHING for babies as we had to pack portable cribs, booster seats, etc. But all in all, it wasn't that much harder than being at home.

Beth said...

My friend's husband threw a surprise party for her (they live in NYC) and he flew me and two other couples to NY to be there. Of course, I didn't have to schlep babies around (I was pregnant with my first at the time) but it was so awesome to be there and my friend was beyond surprised and touched. You don't get these opportunities very often. (I know, easy for me to say since I've never traveled with twins!) So I say go for it!