Since I last posted about what things I want for myself as I approach turning 40, I have been felled by a barrage of sicknesses.
First, I caught the upper respiratory thing that Cary, Dean and Clair had. And then, I got the stomach bug that Cary and Dean had over the weekend. Oh, didn't I tell you that C & D had a stomach bug? And that they both threw up multiple times Friday evening into Saturday? And that we had to change sheets and pajamas a total of 4 times? No? I must've blocked that out.
But it is much harder to block out when the bug comes for you. So I have been suffering with sickness for days and days. Sunday was the worst, and to add insult to injury, Lester came down with a sudden, bizarre, achiness-chills-fatigue thing that kept him in bed for hours. I was wiped out and weak from not eating, plus my throat hurt, so I took to our bed too.
This meant a record low point in the Davis family parenting. When the kids woke up from their naps, neither Lester nor I had the energy to do anything - nothing - not one thing. So we tossed the kids in the bed with us, piled a breakfast tray with grapes, goldfish, chicken nuggets and water, and laid, catatonic, for 4 and a half hours, while the kids watched episode after episode of Sesame Street, Yo Gabba Gabba and Curious George. Four and a half hours of TV in one day. No engagement. No nothing. Occasional grunts of affirmation or opposition. That's it. Like I said, a record low.
Lester and I both stayed home from work yesterday, that's how bad it was. Today, he's much better; I'm marginally so. Clair's still hacking away; Cary's got a nose like a dripping faucet. My stomach is still gurgling and my throat still hurts.
All this is a long lead-up to the very first thing I know I want for myself and my family as I approach 40.
I want GOOD HEALTH.
I am so sick of being sick (seriously, no one warned me how sick we'd be once the kids went to school. I hold all of you accountable). I am so sick of saying "I'm sick." I am so sick of worrying if I'm going to get sick when one of the kids get sick. I'm sick of the kids getting sick.
I want good health in our house and I'm willing to consider all suggestions as to how to go about getting there.
A mom in C & D's class once told me all about all the vitamins and supplements and castor oil-type yuckiness she serves her kids every morning before school. "My kids hardly ever get sick," she bragged. This was the beginning of the school year, before the boys were attacked at every possible juncture by germs, so I thought to myself, "Neither do mine, sweetie."
I secretly scoffed at her, but now I'm planning to ask her about her regimen.
I know I need to quit playing around and just EXERCISE, fercryingoutloud, but other than that, there has to be something else I can do to fight these germs. Vitamin C pills? Should we stop eating all processed foods? Become vegetarian? Eat Paleo? Someone suggested a shaman -- I'm this close to Googling one.
I don't know what I have to do, but I'm going to find out. It's time for better health in my house.
(First up: Get thee to a lab to get sugars tested, Tanika!! And take this pre-diabetes seriously!)
12 comments:
Oh Tanika, I'm so sorry! I feel for you. I've been there. You will get through this. I promise. I don't know the answers.
But seriously, YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR PRE-DIABETES SERIOUSLY!!! I'm one to talk, because I have no self-control. But I'm working on the sugar thing and I'm starting small. I started by trying to cut sugar out of breakfast. Now I'm working on cutting it out of lunch, too. It's hard, because sooo many things have added sugar, and I'm not perfect, but small changes add up. I'm also working on eating just one more veggie a day. (Which some days means I eat ONE veggie that day. LOL) You can do it!!!
Now, go sanitize your house. Every.single.surface. Wash or wipe or spray (Clorox Anywhere) every toy. Clean your door handles, cabinet handles, drawer handles, car seats, car doors and steering wheel and signals. EVERY THING YOU TOUCH. It probably won't do anything for your health, but it will make you feel better, like you're kicking those germs' asses! LOL
Hoping we can still get together next weekend, but realizing that your schedule might be completely whacked now. We'll figure it out!
I'm with Beth, sanitize your house and then treat your kids like the germ-bearing animals that they are.
No kissing on the mouth
No sharing dishes - cups, utensils, ANYTHING EVER
Use a completely different bathroom for washing your hands - I use our kitchen sink.
I did warn you.... we didn't sleep for two years because we had two kids sick ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME. You can't stop the kids from getting sick bc they are in a germ pit, but you can stop yourself from getting sick.
PS
http://jonandlaura.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-holiday-article-you-really-really.html
PPS think of all those TV synapses you created!!!
PPSS that's always been the rule in our house - kids or parents are sick, unlimited tv time. And my kids are fine. Mostly.
Hey honey, the one tip I wish I'd known was to put layers of towels down on their beds when they are sick. It's less hassle than changing sheets, esp. in the middle of the night.
Otherwise, I'm on a FB page with Portland moms who swear by probiotics and a bunch of other stuff that sounds great but time-intensive, which means I do none of it. I can try to scan it for anything helpful. We use hand sanitizer a lot and, really, have just been super lucky after that horrible first year in day care.
Oh I hope it gets better soon!
Daycare is a germ haven, but that said, I am big believer in diet. My grandbaby, who lives with me (will be seven this month), hasn't had as much as a sniffle in a couple of years (knock on wood). I am fruit and vegetable obsessed. I push the fruit, no soda or juice and try to keep the sugar down. The treats are sweetened with, coconut sugar, raw honey, maple syrup etc. I disagree with disinfecting everything I think that comes with its own set of problems. I am old school "eat a pound of dirt" and build the immune system.
Me too on the eat a pound of dirt (and it really was my philosophy even before I realized I just can't keep up with keeping my house spotless. I laugh as I even write that). I hope all your germs leave you soon. All of you. Sounds like you have really been through the wringer- no fun.
Me too on the eat a pound of dirt (and it really was my philosophy even before I realized I just can't keep up with keeping my house spotless. I laugh as I even write that). I hope all your germs leave you soon. All of you. Sounds like you have really been through the wringer- no fun.
grr when will I learn not to hit the back button???
Tanika, the first year, especially the first winter, of school/daycare is the hardest. After that, they should be exposed to most of the germs and have built immunity to them. So hang in there...next year will be sooo much better, I promise. You can hold me to it. :)
Also, most people get it wrong. Vit C (and zinc) helps you get better faster...but does not prevent you from getting sick. Vit D is your main culprit. My guess is that your Vit D levels are low. You can get them tested (blood draw). Maintaining adequate Vit D level is essential to good health. Get plenty of sun during the summer to build up your store of Vit D. And supplement during the winter. Fermented cod liver oil is a good source of Vit D. Or go the more convention route and take Vit D3 supplements.
I used to get sick a LOT. But now, hardly ever. This last winter was tough, b/c my Vit D level was wiped out from carrying and breastfeeding 2 babies. And that was in November. The twins were sick the whole winter. They were both hospitalized twice. They just finally had their 4th-month vaccination yesterday at 7 months...they were so sick before that we couldn't vaccinate them for the past 3 months. But Ayla -- she came down with a fever for one day only twice this winter and the next day was her bouncing, active normal self. Other than these 2 one-day incidents, nothing. Hubby did not get sick at all. Over the past month, I've been putting the girls outside, slowly for a few minutes a day, building up to 20 minutes for the twins and 30 minutes for Ayla...without sunscreen, so that they get their Vit D. I KNOW the twins won't be as sick this coming winter, just like her sister. (I think I did tell you once, that Ayla was soo sick her first winter. We were constantly in/out of pedi office and urgent care. And now, complete turnaround.)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/11/01/Vitamin-D-is-a-Key-Player-in-Your-Overall-Health.aspx Please read this article. There are lots of articles on the net about Vit D and health. Please take time to do the research, and you'll be happy you did.
Since you enjoy reading, there are 2 books I highly recommend reading: Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and Real Food for Mother and Baby by Nina Planck. I used to have a real addiction to sugar -- cravings all the time. Now I make sure there's enough good fats (real fats) in my diet, and the cravings gone away. It's a whole lot easier to cut out sugars and processed food if you don't have the cravings for them. As a 40th year birthday present to yourself, you should make the time to read these 2 books. I swear you will be so glad you did. It was a real eye opener for me. I was blown away by Taubes book. Planck's book will tell you what you should feed your family for optimum health. Good luck!
p.s. Fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil are the only "vitamins" / supplements are family takes. No flu shots.
p.p.s. I had 2 friends who showed me the "light". What you read will sound so anti-establishment...but you will be your own proof. The more I explore this path, the more that I learn, the less sick our family was...and that was all the proof I needed to continue exploring and learning more. You will too. I know you are. You and Lester are so committed to your children's well-being, to their intellectual, emotional and physical needs that I KNOW you will tend to their health needs, once you get the info you need to do so.
Btw, have you read this article? http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/04/gut-microbiome-bacteria-weight-loss I think it's very good.
Post a Comment