OK, now back to my regularly scheduled post.
As the boys approach their second birthday -- entering their third year of life -- I have been thinking a lot about their synapses. Those of you who have been even cursory readers of this blog know that I have a bit of an obsession with creating synapses in my children's growing brains.
Yes, I know this makes no sense.
Anyway, since so much of their brain development will have occurred by the time they reach age 3, this 2nd birthday means they are two-thirds of the way there!! Ack!! The heat is on for me to expose them to more new things, so that they will have the synapses for those things, and thus more building blocks to create more synapses later on.
So what things do I want them to do/see/experience this year?
- Go to the beach. Build sand castles. Watch the tide come in and out.
- Pick some fruit at a real fruit orchard. Bring it home and help Mommy make something out of it.
- Fly a kite.
- Ride public transportation.
- Have a picnic.
- Dig for earthworms after a good rain.
- Go to the State Fair. Ride some kiddie rides. Eat funnel cake.
- Sleep in a sleeping bag.
- Go to the zoo. (We've done this a bunch, but I think they're old enough to really get it now.)
- Play with Play-Doh. (I've been too chicken to break out the Play-Doh for fear of ingested Play-Doh, and Play-Doh stuck all over every darn thing.)
- Finger-paint. (Ditto.)
- See a real rainbow in the sky.
- Go on a hayride. Help Mommy or Daddy carve a pumpkin.
- See a parade, complete with floats and marching bands.
- Ride on some kind of boat.
- Participate in at least one, maybe two organized activities (music class, soccer, swim lessons,etc.)
Of course I also want them to have learned/accomplished some very important things, like potty training, counting to 20, shapes, colors, ABCs, helping to dress themselves, etc. But for some reason, the fun, experiential stuff seems like more of a challenge.
2 comments:
I started out this comment to add to your checklist, but then I decided not to contribute to your crazy. The fun stuff is supposed to be fun stuff not challenging. So to answer your question what is missing from the list? Nothing, so relax and have fun with the list you've got.
P.S. Be sure to take lots of pictures, especially of you digging for earthworms. That I gotta see!
I would recommend doing the messy stuff outside!
Nothing else to add, now make a plan and do it!
Post a Comment