Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I plan to stop procrastinating...someday

It's two days before Cary and Dean's 2nd birthday, and I STILL have no plan.

Sigh.

And I really have been trying! I've come up with -- and shot down -- a half dozen ideas or maybe more: a full-fledged birthday party (house, too small; cost? too much); a visit to Friendly's for just us or just us and a few friends/family members (would people think I was footing the bill? SHOULD I foot the bill? Would they sit for this or be crazed the whole time?); Nature Center visit (toddler-friendly event is too early for us to get there without rushing and I don't want this to be stressful); B&O Railroad Museum Train Day event (see what happened at Touch a Truck day to see why that got vetoed); invite folks to the park for cake and ice cream (too similar to party idea, so same issues. Also what time to do it, considering boys nap from 1 to 4 and my family and friend Kelly all have to travel an hour to get here); go to my Mom's for cake and ice cream (it's Mother's Day this weekend, so I don't want to usurp my Mom's day)...etc. etc. etc.

Nothing seems ideal.

I want simple, but not "it might as well not even be their birthday" simple. I want something active, so that their birthday is not just about eating stuff and getting stuff, but all the good stuff to do is too early or too far away or too expensive. Like even the zoo here costs a good bit, and I have been on the sucky unpaid portion of my maternity leave for quite a while.

Today I went and bought a few Sesame Street-related party accessories, like cups, plates, balloons, etc. so in case we decide to do anything on Saturday or Sunday, we'll have it all ready. And on Friday, their actual birthday, we'll display the balloons and sing "Happy Birthday" and have ice cream (their favorite thing) and give them their little play kitchen, plus some books to open.

We'll play outside with the little plastic lawnmowers Michelle is giving them, and it'll be great, I know.  And they won't remember this birthday anyway. Just like they don't remember this one from last year (which turned into something much bigger than I ever wanted):

How cute is this??

But I did want family and some of my friends with kids their age to be involved. And I really did want them to do something fun or out-of-the-ordinary for their big day. Intellectually, I know they'll be fine with whatever. They don't even KNOW it's their birthday!! But emotionally, I feel pressure.
Why does it seem like I'm not doing enough?




3 comments:

DCAngel said...

If it makes you feel any better, I don't know what we're doing either. The bouncy house didn't work out, and we don't know many other kids, so it's probably going to end up being Zachary and his cousin playing the backyard. We did, however, get him a little basketball goal and a t-ball, so he'll at least have something new to play with. Maybe that's the solution: new outdoor play things and ice cream, well before naptime.

So many different ways to experience mama guilt...

Kelly said...

Awww, look at that photo of them a year ago! Sweetness. Can you even believe it!?

The birthday thing is so crazy! We put so much pressure on these milestones, I swear. But really, Tanika, please don't be so hard on yourself! You've been doing plenty, well, EVERYTHING. Seriously, what a whirlwind maternity leave you have had -- chock full of taking on big tasks and having fun with the kiddos. I'm awed, truly.

How about inviting family and some friends to a local park? That cool one on 33rd -- do they have picnic tables? Bring some cupcakes, balloons and all your great Sesame Street party stuff. You can do it at like, 11, that's two whole hours before nap time. Plenty of time to party. It's not unique, I know, but it will allow you to get peeps together and celebrate pretty effortlessly and the boys will enjoy it! And the weather's supposed to be great this weekend. Anyhow, just an idea. Just know whatever you do, or not do, the boys will have a blast and you, my friend, are an awesome mama. xoxo Kel

claudia said...

Cake with candles to blow out and sing happy birthday, that works well for two. Four is soon enough for a slightly bigger affair. I have been promising the babycakes that she will have a real party when she is six and wow it is here. By real party she means a special venue. She had been asking for Jump Zone and with reluctance I bit the bullet and sprang for it. I hope that it will be worth it. But no more specific promises from me.