Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Big events in the life of the Davis boys

My big boys had two big events happen this week.

First, they had their 3-year-old check-up, which is the big boy check-up. It was their first time doing the eye chart, their first time getting a big kid hearing test, and their first time getting their blood pressure checked.



Looking at these pictures, I am struck by how much Dean looks like a big boy and Cary still looks a little like a baby.

Cary always finds the books, wherever we go.

Cary is 36-and-a-half inches tall and weighs 28 lbs. Dean is 39 inches tall and weighs 33 lbs. That puts Cary in the 10th percentile for height and the 25th for weight. Dean's in the 50th percentile for height and the 75th for weight.


We take Cary to the ENT tomorrow to see about his ears, but other than that, both boys are healthy, strong and wonderful! Praise God!

And in other big news:

Today was the boys last day of pre-K 2!! Can you believe it?

The class had a little "graduation," which involved the kids performing "Jesus Loves the Little Children," and "Itsy Bitsy Spider," with spider web hats and raindrop necklaces. I had a work meeting so I missed this part, but Lester took this adorable photo. Soooo cute!


And there was a picnic outside on the school yard, which Lester and I were both lucky enough to be able to attend.
Enjoying the cookies at the picnic.
Look at those big confident boys sitting there on a hill, eating snacks. It seems like just a minute ago they were frightened, sad little 2-year-olds, nervous about having to go to school for the first time.


Not too long before that photo was taken, I remember Lester and I going back and forth about whether we should send them to "real school," whether they'd gain anything more from school that they wouldn't get at home with Michelle. We struggled with whether the considerable expense would be worth it.

I'm 100-percent glad we made the decision we did. It's been a really great year for us, and a tremendous year for them. They've grown and blossomed and learned so much. They started as babies -- and left today as little boys.

I know they won't remember this year, not in any real way. But one day, they'll look back at this blog and remember the love they had for Miss Toni, who loved and hugged on them and called them her boys:


And they'll hopefully remember their friends Jeffery, Penelope, Makenzie, Avery and Marcus (to name a few):

Avery
Marcus
And they'll know ... I hope they'll know ... just how proud their Mommy was of them every single day. (And their Daddy, too, of course.)

 

Congratulations on surviving your first year of school, boys! You did it!


3 comments:

LauraC said...

Huge milestone! YAY for first year of school. (And nice summer break from the first year of illnesses!)

DCAngel said...

Holy crap, one year of school down already? I totally remember that sweet picture of them holding hands and the trepidation about starting school. Well done, boys!! And so glad it sounds like you grew to love Miss Toni.

I'm glad you posted the height and weights. Zachary is 39 inches and the doc said that was in the 80th percentile. That really didn't sound right.

Beth said...

Two to three is SUCH a big change--they go from babbling babies to full-on-talking little boys. Congrats on a full year of school! You survived! The boys survived! Yay!