Thursday, May 2, 2013

Wednesday explorers

I left work early yesterday to go home and be with Clairzee.

But on my drive home, I took note of how absolutely beautiful the day was and how green the grass and gorgeous the pink on the trees. I came in the house and Clair's cheeks were cool for the first time in days. She was cheerful and energetic. She looked more like herself. I almost cried.

And then I decided right then and there that the boys needed to get out in this day more than Clair needed me to snuggle her. Lester was happy to stay home with her, so we threw some balls and bats in the car and drove around the block to Herring Run park and the fields across the street from the boys' school.

We kicked the ball a little, hit the tee ball a little, watched a bit of a girls' lacrosse practice and ran around in the grass and the sun and the flowers, without a care in the world.

Then we decided to go exploring along the trail between the stream and the park. This was awesome, folks. I don't know why we haven't done this before.

Love this photo. They look like such big boys.

Tree-climbers.

They loved the independence of being able to just walk wherever they wanted and stop and explore whatever they wanted.

I love how they're looking at one another in this picture.
Where's Cary?
I have to say that this was one of the best afternoons we've had together in their short years on this earth. And there was no planning, no jam-packed schedule, no agenda, no fee to get in, no crowds, no constant cries for snacks, no over-stimulation and no jackets required.

We did, however, experience a  major meltdown when it was time to go home for dinner. Cary would've stayed out in the woods all night long if he could.


Let's zoom in on that cranky face, shall we?

Hahahaha!

I know he was really heartbroken that we had to leave our adventures in the woods, but his temper tantrums crack me up.

Despite that small bump in the road, this was a glorious afternoon and I'm sorry Clair missed it, but as soon as she's 100-percent better, we'll include her on future jaunts.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Yay! You needed that. :-)

LauraC said...

I love love love adventures with the kids and unstructured time. It does get easier as they get older in this regard!

Candice Baptiste said...

I am inspired to do the same. As soon as I can schedule the free time. Sigh!

Fabulous Mari said...

SO glad to hear that Clair is on her way to feeling better! I feel awful though that I think Cary looks so adorable with his little tantrum face, I'm not rejoicing in his pain but he is just so cute with his little pout! Glad you guys enjoyed your day out. I know Antony would live outside if we let him, doesn't matter the weather either, LOL

liv said...

they really are such big boys. sigh.