Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I See a Queen

My sister found this picture on Instagram and sent it to me with the message, "This reminds me of Clair."

Self-perception is half the battle.
 I immediately fell in love with the photo. It says to me: Here is a little girl looking at herself, assessing, wondering, "Who am I?" And what she sees is Royalty. Specialness. A Queen.

I LOVE that! And I want it for Clair.

I assumed the art was a page in a beautifully-illustrated children's book. And I have been obsessed with finding this book, so I could read it to Clair, and so I could frame the page and put it on her wall.

Turns out it is not a book. (I found this out using Facebook. Again, I say that Facebook is awesome!) It is an oil painting by an artist, Frank Morrison. When I did a search for him, I was hoping he'd be some small-time talent, who would happily sell his creations to any gushing fan. But of course he would be somewhat famous...

From Frank Morrison's website:

Notable collections of Morrison’s art are owned by former New York City School Chancellor Rudy Crew, New Orleans Senator Gregory Tarver, renown actor/philanthropist Bill Cosby who prides himself on nurturing the talents of emerging African American artists, and Dr. Lorraine Hale among others. His work has enhanced the settings of televisions shows "Malcolm and Eddie", "New York Undercover", "Cosby" and has been a featured artist on the Home Shopping Network.
 

Morrison has received commissions from the irrepressible radio/TV commentator Tom Joyner, the Essence Music Festival in New Orleans, and executed serially mounted musical scenes for the compact discs "Impulsively Ellington: A Tribute to Duke Ellington. and Down-to-the-Bone’s "Crazy Vibes and Things". His artwork has been displayed in prestigious locales shows such as "The National Black Fine Arts Show" produced by Jocelyn Wainwright, at the Savacou Gallery in Manhattan, and was honored and given a one-man show at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture sponsored by ESSENCE ART and Toyota.

He earnestly declares that he is rendered speechless with pride when he finds his work displayed adjacent to and in conjunction with Romare Bearden originals.

Romare Bearden?? Bill Cosby? Sheesh. I doubt I could even afford this charming and poignant painting, I See a Queen, but I went to the site anyway to scope it out.

Sadly, the website says it is "SOLD."

I emailed the site and asked about whether this means I really and truly can't buy it. But I haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime, I asked a family friend (a wonderful artist who used to date my brother) whether she thought she could do something similar. But now I'm having second thoughts about that. It seems unethical somehow -- asking an artist to essentially "copy" another artist's work.

I'll have to really think about it - and pray about it - before pulling the trigger on that one (that is, if she even agrees to do it).

So I don't know if Clair will ever see this piece hanging proudly in her room, reminding her how special and uncommon she is, and to value and protect her self-worth.

Which is why I'm putting it here on this site. At the very least, one day she'll read this and know that when I look at her (with her little arms akimbo, just like that!) I truly do see a Queen.

UPDATE: Mr. Morrison WILL commission that painting for me -- for $1,500!!
Well...back to the drawing board (pun intended).

9 comments:

DCAngel said...

It's perfect! What's the name of this painting?

LauraC said...

I tried to google it for you with tons of combinations and your page shows up on the third page of results!

$1500 for an original piece of art is pretty good..... except who has $1500 lying around for this? I think the intention is great.

Anonymous said...

Three ideas:

1. Ask Morrison if he could issue you a print of the painting for a fraction of the cost. Say 20x30 size or even larger.

2. Ask your friend to do an "inspired by" Morrison and Clair painting. The girl pictured will be Clair in Clair clothes in Clair background, except the concept will be Morrison. I "see a Queen". And there's nothing wrong with this. Artists are inspired by each other all the time, and do different versions based on their inspirations. Moreover, this mirror-Queen theme has been done before, *ahem* snow white, by Disney.

3. Get a good resolution image of the picture. And print it yourself the biggest you can without rendering the picture blurry. This is your cheapest option, but not the nicest. But if you want a small-ish 11x14 frame picture somewhere in the room, it'll do.

Tam

DCAngel said...

Tam is a genius.

liv said...

wait, what, yeah? he doesn't have or sell prints of his paintings? i thought all artists did that!

Unknown said...

I agree! #2 and #3 are great alternative options !

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

http://morrisongraphics.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=697