Random thoughts:
When did Clair learn to say "sure?" -- You ask her to do something, she says, "Sure!" It is too funny. She also likes to tell "stories" using mostly nouns, but some verbs, like "crying" or "sleeping" or "falled." I love having conversations with her -- can't wait to hang out with my chatty girl when she's older. P.S. Can't believe she will be 2 in February. Good grief.
***
Still no tree in the Davis house. In fact, there are pumpkins sitting on my front porch (covered in snow) and scarecrows on my dining room window sills. I don't know when (or if) we're going to take Christmas card photos -- and then address and send the cards to friends and family. And I haven't pulled out the Christmas music yet. I am really behind this year. Like, woefully. (P.S. How do pumpkins last so long?)
***
I really enjoyed this newspaper article about what toys inspired girls who eventually became engineers/scientists:
I especially loved the connection between Legos and code-writing (something which I totally wish I understood anything about. Even just a little html would be nice to know.)
Note to Santa: Add more Legos to the Christmas bounty!
***
It has really gotten cold here - today won't even make it past
30-degrees. One super-annoying thing about winter weather: fastening two
big boys into their safety seats with their tremendous, puffy coats on.
Seriously, I break out into a sweat trying to get them buckled in and always have to stop myself from saying words no 3-year-old should hear.
Today, after my frustrating struggles to get them clicked in, the boys spilled the beans that when Daddy takes them to school,
sometimes he doesn't buckle them in. "He says, 'It's OK. We're just
going around the corner!'" they told me.
Tsk, tsk, Daddy! Someone's getting a lump of coal in their stocking this year.
(I also had to laugh that they totally told on him! Hahaha! You can't do anything around kids this age. They will let the cat out of the bag. Trust.)
***
I am almost finished with Book 2 of Game of Thrones. Reading these books is definitely an investment, but really worth it. Even if you're not a fan of fantasy, if you like well-written, character-driven stories, with intricate, fast-moving plots and great dialogue (especially from Tyrion, the Imp) you would like these books. Take it from me. And actually, the "fantasy" part is somewhat incidental, I think. But you guys need to read 'em to see for yourself.
Speaking of GoT, I called my Dad this morning on my way to work and we had a little mini bookclub, talking about where I am in the books and Dad's thoughts on it, etc. It was really nice. I absolutely love being able to talk about books (or anything) with my Dad. One of the best parts of my life.
***
My friend Olivia wrote a Christmas letter that was so funny, I am determined to write one for this blog. It won't be as good as hers, but I am pledging right now that I am going to get down the highlights of 2013 in one place. Just as soon as I finish this MONSTER report at work, toss the pumpkins, get a Christmas tree, decorate the house, come up with something to put on the front of a Christmas card, and drive the family insane with repeated playings of Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas."
After all that, if my end-of-the-year letter comes next year, I'm sure you'll understand.
1 comment:
Ha ha ha. End-of-year letters don't come 'till after Christmas. And don't stress yourself out about decorating for Christmas. I say put it off for as long as you can!
And about the coats and car seats--you're not actually supposed to buckle them in with their coats on. It's not as safe 'cause you can't get them secured as well in the harness. But I guess it beats not buckling them at all! (Lester!!!) Buckle them in without coats and then have them put their arms through the sleeves of their coats the front way 'till the car warms up.
Post a Comment