I just started the effort to rid my diet of added sugars (for at least the month of February) and I was careful not to begin until I'd surrounded myself with a support system -- friends and co-workers who are doing this right along with me and are there to offer encouragement, advice, good reading material or a swift kick in the butt.
So imagine how blindsided I was to feel sugar pressure coming from an unexpected group of tiny little plan-thwarters: My kids!
Yesterday at dinner, I asked the boys what was their favorite part of their school snack (I do this sometimes to assess what items to skip or what to buy more of). After sorta answering my question, Dean grins and says, "Juice!"
"Silly!" I said, "You know you don't get juice." (We send a thermos of water for them for snack.)
To which Cary says, "Mommy, all the kids at school have juice. Except us. We only have water."
"All the kids?" I asked.
And Dean says, "Yes. All of them. Except us."
You hear the daggers entering my heart, right? "Except us..."
Here's how I heard that: "Except us poor, left-out, weirdo kids whose parents clearly hate them and only send them to school with water -- FROM THE TAP!"
I would be less than truthful if I said I didn't feel a little twinge. I always thought I would feel good about our healthful food choices, especially since we have resolved not to be sooo completely crazy about every little thing they put in their bodies. We're not crazy health nuts; we're moderates! Heck, we even introduced them to Five Guys a couple weekends ago! (Mmmmm. Five Guys...)
My poor boys want juice and we make them drink the liquid of life instead! We're horrible!
And for a super-quick second, I honestly thought, "I don't want them to be outcasts. Maybe I can give them juice boxes twice a week or on Fridays or something."
But then I thought about Sugar Free February, and how much incredible effort it takes for me to get through every day without eating something sweet or not great for me. And I thought about the lifetime of unhealthful choices I've made that have contributed to this addiction I have -- because that's what it is, an addiction. I have a sweet tooth, no doubt, and that's genetic. But I have fed and stroked and catered to that sweet tooth so much, I've become a slave to it.
My sweet tooth is my master and it is literally killing me. My yearly hemoglobin A1C reports tell me so in big bold numbers. Each report calls me pre-diabetic and says, "Do something differently or you will. die." (In so many words...)
I want to break the yoke that sugar has around my neck. Why would I ever start the process of putting that same yoke around my children's?
That's why I won't succumb to the sugar pressure -- for myself or for them. An occasional treat is OK, like I said, we're not fanatical about it. But daily juice just gets their taste buds in the habit for something sweet with all meals. If I indulge that sweet tooth, juice becomes soda becomes Big Gulps becomes must.have.chocolate.cake. (Mmmm. Chocolate cake.)
As long as I'm in charge of what goes in their snack bags, they will drink water. And so will I.
3 comments:
Stay strong! William's resolution/goal for Taekwondo this year is to eat less sugar. He's finding it quite a challenge! I've been showing him, with teaspoons of sugar, how much is in some of his favorite things to eat (and drink). It's eye-opening, but doesn't make it any easier. (For me or for him.) I applaud you!
Hang in there you will make it. Baby girl now in second grade has only had water in her lunch box since preschool. She does get fruit in every lunch. She lusts for the juice boxes that others have but her dentist raves about the fact that she has no cavities. It seems normal to me for a seven year old to not have cavities yet but apparently that isn't the case anymore. Of course her teeth are growing out of her ears so we will be looking at orthodontics in the near future but you can't have everything.
Well rest assured you are doing the right thing. I thought my parents were THE.WORST. growing up because they wouldn't give me kool aids, fun colored cereals, "fruit" snacks, Popsicles, fast food, and by the time I could read my Dad had me reading the ingredients in the food I ate. I thank them for it now that I have grown up appreciating real food and knowing that we are what we eat. But what you can do for the boys is flavor their water with fruit! How fun! Add some sliced kiwi, strawberries, mint, or even orange. That way they can have their flavored water and be healthy too! I expect these food battles for many years to come though :'(
Post a Comment