Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Clair starts summer camp!

This is a big week for Clairzee!

First the dentist (which she totally aced), now this. Today Clair started three days a week of summer camp, which is basically just school in the summer.

Again, Lester and I worried ourselves into a tizzy about how she'd do.I couldn't sleep for two nights, thinking about her being in distress and what we would do if she had a conniption at drop-off. After all, aside from church, this is the first time we've ever dropped her off somewhere and left. Ever.

Guess what? Yet again, our baby girl surprised the heck out of us.

She galloped into the school, went into the classroom, said hello to the teachers, and immediately started playing with toys.  No crying, no worrying, nuthin'.
Another good thing: One of the teachers in the summer camp class is going to be Clair's actual teacher in the fall! So yay!
Lester wanted to make sure we didn't trigger Clair's anxiety by lingering too long, so I barely even got to take pictures or say a real good bye. I feel a little ...I don't know...something about all this. Especially because it was so hurried. Like, right now, I sorta feel on the verge of tears, and I'm not exactly sure why. I'm definitely distracted, so I'm going to need to do some mindfulness/centering exercises or something to get any real work done today. (And by mindfulness/centering exercises, of course I mean "chocolate.")

But mostly, I'm just grateful that Clair has Cary and Dean there with her to ease her transition into school. In the fall, she'll be by herself there -- because C and D will be going to their new school across town.

But for a few weeks this summer, they're my three little amigos (hermanos?) and everybody seems quite happy.

 
I guess. (Sniff.)

2 comments:

Fabulous Mari said...

Congratulations to the whole family for a successful first day of summer camp! #SurvivalOfTheFittest

Unknown said...

That is most laudable. Clair is such an awesome kid. Kids her age would even find trouble walking into stuff in their own two feet, let alone facing a dentist, something that even grown ups dread and fear. Haha! I think it's really great that she has an early eagerness to take care of her teeth. Let's just hope that she keeps it up.

Jason Dew @ Metro Dental Associates