Friday, June 13, 2014

Thank you, Dad.

As we approach Father's Day, I could go on and on about what a wonderful father I have -- and how good he has been to me, consistently, throughout my life.

It's clear, for example, in the man I chose to be the father of my own children just what kind of example my Dad set. And you read this week about how Dad drove an hour just to bring me a plant on my birthday.

I'm a lucky, lucky Daddy's girl and I hope Dad knows how thankful I am for all that he is and does in my life.

But I don't think I thank my Dad enough for the wonderful things he does for everyone else in his life.

How he spends so much quality time with my 97-year-old Granddad at least four times a week, does all his grocery shopping, takes him to the doctor and to the bank, helps him write out his bills and fills his prescriptions, leaves him food to eat, bathes and shaves him. And most importantly, he just provides company -- watching sports or the news for hours on end (sometimes falling asleep from exhaustion) -- so that Granddad won't feel so alone.

How he remains at my brother Rashad's beck and call -- responding to all his needs -- even late-night calls for directions because Rashad's memory is so bad after his accident. How he (and my Mom) still support my siblings, well into adulthood, even though they should probably have stopped a long time ago.

Instead, Dad gives more and more, mostly because he wants to be sure his grandchildren are OK.  He often stops whatever he's doing to actively love his grandchildren: Making Cary feel good about his glasses, going to Kalonji's parent-teacher conferences, or Grandparents' Day at Russy's school. (And we can't even talk about how much he dotes on Matty.)

Last night, he went to my sister's house to give her youngest son, Kwahli, a haircut, because today was his kindergarten graduation. He brought over his clippers, sat him on the counter, and buzzed away. 

And look how handsome Kwahli was!

Dad (and Mom) also bought his suit and tie and shoes.
His sisters, Aminah and Alahna love him!
And of course, Dad was there today, cheering Kwahli on.

Because that's what my Dad does. He shows up when you need him. He's there for the things that matter.

I'm so glad my kids have this kind of example in their father -- and their grandfather.

Happy Father's Day to both of you amazing men.

We all love you!


1 comment:

Beth said...

Lovely, Tanika! I'm pretty much going to HAVE to meet your mom and dad. Absolutely. Not taking no for an answer! :-)