Thursday, July 3, 2014

Is it bad that I am re-capping the weekend on Thursday?

I just can't get it together folks. It's Thursday and I'm just getting around to re-capping LAST weekend.

But better late than never, right? (If ever a motto was written by a procrastinator, that one is it.)

Last weekend, like most weekends, we had 50,000 things to do. Here are the highlights:

We went to Abby and Maya's 4th Birthday Party, which was held at the Mayfield playground, just around the corner from us. It was the perfect place for a party -- close by, shady and cool, with familiar equipment for the kids to play on. And Abby and Maya were the cutest!

When I pointed my camera at them and asked the birthday girls to hug, this is what they did. Awwww! After this, I learned to say, "Hug EACH OTHER."
They love this little playground. Look at my sweet pea!
Clair was the only one who wanted to keep her party hat on. And I had one on too. Me and my little girl -- always dressed for the occasion.
After the birthday party, we met up with our new friends the Stewarts, and their two little girls, at the Maryland Science Center for "Make-a-Mess Day."

This one LOVED making a mess.
They have no idea what they're doing with this touch-screen thing because they. can't. read.
Dean and Lester enjoyed a little show about electricity. Clair kept saying, "I don't LIKE that show!" And Cary just wanted to play with the touch screens nearby, even though ...see above photo.
Afterward, Lester went to a housewarming/networking event (with some big names in attendance!) while I took the boys to baseball and played with Clair. After that, Stephanie and Tom (my boss/friends) stopped by unexpectedly, which was really nice. And then Antwyne and Mari dropped off Antony unexpectedly, so we had an extra 4-year-old for dinner and bathtime, which was also really nice. The boys love Antony and the three of them get along famously, laughing and giggling and being super silly together. Too bad I didn't get to see too much of that silliness, because I peaced Lester out and went to Holly's 40th birthday party on her and Jessica's awesome rooftop deck, drank margaritas and ate Mediterranean food until I almost popped.
Check out the view of South Baltimore from their rooftop. Nice, right? Their rooftop deck is nicer than my entire house. Not even joking.
Sunday, Lester took the kids to church and I stayed home and cooked a huge Southern breakfast, because my parents came over for brunch -- and brought my little brother Rashad! (Oh, my heart!)
I wish I'd thought to take a real photo of my brother with the kids, but instead all I did was snap this spur of the moment photo, when all three of the kids were jumping and playing on my Dad, and laughing hysterically. I stood in the doorframe and saw three men whom I love so much, playing with my three babies, whom I love so much. And I may or may not have gotten a little teary.
 
It's almost hard to believe that's my baby brother over there in the corner, just hanging out at my house after stuffing himself with grits and sausage and cinnamon apples. God is so good! When I think about those first few weeks when he was in the hospital...I don't even know how to put into words how I feel.
And then after my family left (waaaah!), Antywne and Mari came back to get Antony's lovey, which he left behind the night before. They stayed for a nice, long time while I fixed dinner and the boys played again with Antony so well that I almost felt like they'd read my earlier post and thought, "We'll show her that she knows NOTHING!"

Seriously - they were like three peas in a goofy pod. Cary and Dean still don't always know to appropriately play with friends (Cary especially), but it was heartening to see that they can laugh and pal around sometimes, when they want to.

Thanks to those of you who commented or sent me notes about twin-closeness and friendships. You don't know how much it helps to be able to put your concerns/anxieties out into the world and have people take you seriously, even if you might just be being a little bit crazy (all the time). Thank you all! I definitely intend to try some of the things you suggested.

Happy 4th! Will post photos of red-white-and-blue-themed children next week!

1 comment:

Jiggetts said...

Hey lady! I love reading about all of your awesome adventures from all the way over here in Africa. Your kids are a hoot! Tell Lester I said, "Hi!" and you keep kicking ass!