Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shopping spree

Spring has sprung and that makes me feeling like having new things!

So yesterday, I bought the babies a big, shiny red ball and alphabet letters that will stick in the bathtub when wet.
I decided to give them the ball today, because it just looked like so much fun! I couldn't wait 'till their birthday.
I also bought them a bottle of bubbles for Michelle to blow with them during the day, outside on the porch. We showed them bubbles for the first time at my Mom's house this past weekend and they went crazy! So I know this will give them hours of outdoor enjoyment while Lester and I are stuck at work.
And I splurged and bought them little surfer-dude swim trunks! We have a blow-up bathtub we bought for the boys when they were newborns that didn't work well at all as a bathtub, but will work perfectly as a little pool on the front porch, or in the back yard.
Can't wait to see them in their little trunks!!
Oh, and I also bought them The Snowy Day in a board book, because they have snacked on the one we had so much, it's barely readable. Same is true for Good Night Moon, but I won't be giving them that new board book until their birthday.

Speaking of their birthday, it is now 14 days until Cary and Dean turn 1. Two exact calendar weeks.

As we approach their first birthday, I must share other random things about them.

Dean has been standing unassisted for up to 5 seconds at a time now. He only does it a couple times a day, but it is very exciting to watch!

Cary's love of books is so heartwarming. If he hears me reading a book out loud, he'll speed-crawl over to me, just to listen or help turn the pages. It's one of the few ways I can get him to come to me, since he flat out ignores my "Come'ere Cary! Come to Mama!"

Dean's favorite saying is "Unhdahg-unhdahg-unhdahgun." I have no idea what it is supposed to mean, but he says it with varying tones and inflections, as if he really is saying something important. I just repeat it right back to him, and we can carry on a conversation for several minutes this way. It's awesome.

Today, both boys patted their heads when I asked, "Where's your head?" But neither one tries to feed himself, points to objects, tries to help dress himself, says any real words, is attempting walking, can play pat-a-cake, nods yes or no, mimics what to do with a toothbrush, telephone or spoon, or makes animal noises.

According to the baby development articles I've read, babies this age should be doing all or some of these things by now. But guess what? I'm not freaked out by the fact that neither baby is doing these things. I know they WILL do them at some point, so there's no need to go crazy.

So, there's one thing I can be certain of as the babies creep closer and closer to age 1: At least one of us is maturing.

1 comment:

Beth said...

You are so wise not to worry about what the boys are "supposed" to be doing at this age. It sounds to me like they are perfect! Isn't it crazy how quickly the first year passes? Reading your blog really takes me back to those awesome early days. I love it!