Monday, September 12, 2011

Odds and ends

Gosh, it's getting to be that I am only managing to blog about once a week. That is not good. What is going to happen when baby No. 3 gets here?

I have got to find a dedicated time of day that I blog, or else I can see this dwindling down to the point of irrelevancy, and that is not what I want.

When so much time passes, I find I don't have a clear single thought to share, but rather a hodge-podge. So forgive the stream of consciousness:

  • This weekend, the boys, Lester and I took a walk to a day care center opening up in an adjoining neighborhood. The center was having an Open House and when we walked in it looked bright and cheerful, but not one adult -- not one -- addressed the boys or even asked us their names, ages or anything. They seemed to be nice folks, but that was enough to turn me off completely.
  • So we are going to keep looking for other sites, just in case we don't make it into the pre-school we want to send the boys to when they turn 2. The school, which is also in walking distance, requires that you sign up in October for the following school year, and you get put on a waiting list until February when they announce who made it in. It's a lottery system, so despite the fact that I intend to get our applications in the very day they open up registration, it's totally out of my control as to whether they get in or not. It is quite stressful having things out of my control like that. Did I mention I'm a tiny bit Type A?
  • If we do get in, we'd only send the boys half days, so that Michelle can have a tiny bit of a break during the day, as opposed to having all three kids all day long. As it is, she'll have all three if someone is sick and can't attend school, and she'll have the whole brood in the summers as well, until the boys are old enough to go to summer camp. So if we can make her life a bit easier during the school year, we really want to try. Especially since we can't afford to pay her the millions she's worth.
  • I tried on maternity clothes this weekend at Forever 21. Why did I do that? Note to self: Never, EVER do that again.
  • The boys are saying more and more words, or making the syllable sounds for others. It's incredible how many things they say these days. And they can say (or attempt to say) really big words like, "blueberry," "strawberry," "umbrella," "lawnmower," and "watermelon." (Although many times they sound more like "buh-buh-ruh," "rah-reh-ree," "buh-berra" "mah-mow-wah" and "mal-meh-en.")
  • Dean is signing "more" like a madman, even when it doesn't really apply. It's like he thinks "more" is the magic word that means, "Get me this thing that I want; do this thing that I want you to do. Right now. Make it happen." And Cary talks incessantly. I'm so glad my boys seem verbal, which I hope translates into big vocabularies and a love of words and language. But sheesh -- I could use some quiet time! And can someone please tell Cary how to use his inside voice? All my attempts are failing miserably.
  • I have found out in the past month that three of my friends are also pregnant! One is two weeks behind me; one is five weeks behind me and one is about eight weeks behind me. I'm so excited to have buddies! But, of course, all of my pregnant friends only have one baby right now, so they'll be going from one to two, whereas Lester and I are going from two to three. What were we thinking????
  • Our car seats came in. Now we have to figure out how to install those things. And then get them in, and get our car covers in, not necessarily in that order. Then we have to find some donated car seats to keep in Michelle's car. 'Cause we are NOT buying two more seats. No way, Jose.
  • The boys turned 16 months on Sept. 11 -- ten years after the horrific terrorist attacks that shook our nation and left so many lives forever altered. The day was a bittersweet one, as I spent a lot of time reading and listening to tributes in the paper and on NPR. I was in tears so much of the day, thinking about the people who lost their lives and the families who have had to find a way to get through life day after day for 10 years. But at the same time, I was celebrating my boys, who are getting bigger and smarter and more and more awesome every day.
  • It was just a reminder that there is so much in the world to lament -- but also so much to be thankful for.

No comments: