Thursday, September 15, 2011

They are just babies

My boys had been crazy with a capital K for days on end.
I was ready to throw myself from the roof of my house.
Seriously, I had a couple days where I went to bed thinking, "Did I do something wrong already? Am I a bad mother? Why are my children so ill-behaved? Am I too permissive? Do I not give enough discipline (whatever that is at this age) along with all my love? Why are other people's children so agreeable?"

Finally, I confided in a friend at work. I was worried about talking to anyone about it, for fear people would judge me or my kids or use my worry to pat themselves on the back for the "AWESOME" jobs they're doing with their own angel children. I also really didn't want to hear the pat answers about how they're just babies and blah blah blah.

But the very day I confided in my friend, when I got home that night (a solo Mommy night for me) the boys were just lovely!! I mean textbook wonderful. No screaming incessantly; no unreasonable demands to be held and then put down and then held and then put down and on an on and so forth. They ate their dinner and giggled adorably over and over when I said "beeeeans!" (Who knew beans were so funny?) They played sweetly in the bathtub; they took their bottles and went to bed. They were lovey and laughy and all-around great.

So I guess the thing of it is: They ARE just babies.

Whether I wanted to hear it or not.

1 comment:

Beth said...

The inconsistency drove me crazy. Who am I kidding. It still does! And I hate to tell you, but it doesn't end. But no matter what phase they're in, it's always temporary, so take heart, and be warned!