On Oct. 5, Lester and I celebrated 4 blissful years of marriage!!
To celebrate, we took the day off together (folks with young children have to have their dates during the day!) and went to the Baltimore Museum of Art, where we had lunch at Gertrude's, which was deeeeelish!
Apple/pear tart with homemade ice cream. Yum! Yum! And yummmmm!
We also found out -- earlier that morning -- the sex of our newest baby, and so we spent a lot of time at lunch talking about how much has changed in our lives since we first met, started dating and got married.
Here are just a few things that have changed:
- We both left journalism for new, related careers. We're both happy we did.
- We live in the same state! We spent a year long-distance dating when Lester worked at a Florida newspaper and I was at The Sun.
- We own two houses. And neither of them is worth the money we owe on them. Yipppeee!
- Apparently, we like surprises: We went through an emotional year of trying to get pregnant and ended up with twins! Surprise! Then, because we had such a hard time getting pregnant with Cary and Dean, we were shocked in June to find out that we were pregnant again! Surprise!
- We have no disposable income.
- We attend church hardly ever, which is a real concern, but one I hope gets better when our children don't require mid-morning naps.
- We both weigh a little more than we did. Ahem.
And here are a few things that have NOT changed since we started dating, a year and a half before we tied the knot:
- We still order Chinese food just about once-a-week.
- We still are amazed (and very often amused) at how dysfunctional our families can be.
- We still love to watch movies and good TV shows together (whenever we can stay awake that long).
- Lester still cracks jokes that only he thinks are funny and then cracks himself up laughing at them, which then makes me laugh, which then makes him think I thought the original non-funny joke was funny. Which, sadly, perpetuates the joke-telling. (I think Dean has inherited this trait.)
- Lester still is annoyed by the fact that I can never manage to hang my clothes up after I wear them.
- We still have never had a knock-down, drag-out, name-calling, lamp-throwing fight. (I'm very proud of this fact).
- We still enjoy each other's company above just about anyone else's.
- Despite having 2.5 children and very demanding jobs, we still find time for one another and strive to make the other one feel just as important and cherished as we did when we were childless and carefree!
- We still try to remember to put God first in our lives, and to teach our boys to do the same. (Consider: Cary and Dean know to say "Amen!" after we say grace before dinner. And we say goodnight prayers with them every night before bed).
- Marrying Lester is still the best decision I made, aside from deciding to follow God.
- We are still actually, and truly, in love.
- We are even more committed to this marriage and this family than ever before.
Happy 4 years, sweetie!

1 comment:
Happy anniversary! Lester is very lucky, and so are you. What an awesome gift to give to your sons and daughter--love and devotion and friendship in your relationship with each other. I can't think of anything better. :-)
Post a Comment