Monday, October 24, 2011

Seasons change; lives change

Fall is slowly turning from that golden warm loveliness that makes the season my favorite, to that chilly, breezy, winter-is-on-its-way blahness.

One thing that struck me this weekend is that after Lester cut the grass on Saturday, he put the mower away and declared that the last cut of the year. Insane! Especially since that means my children -- who are lawnmower obsessed -- will not see their favorite garden tool again until they're 2 or just about! I hope they'll be able to cope.

Thinking about them being 2 fascinates me in so many ways. This weekend was my college Homecoming weekend (H-UUUUUUU!!) and my good friend Neelofer came in town from Atlanta with her son Kadin, who will be 2 next month. Watching him with my two boys left me amazed at how much progress they're likely to make in just 6 short months.

Kadin was talking in sentences: "I want to get down." "I want Mommy." "No, Mommy, don't come!"

Kadin was much more focused and deliberate about activities. His attention span was several minutes long, not several seconds.

And Kadin was tall and thin, with Adidas sneakers! He looked like a little boy (a little, little boy, but still a boy).

I can't believe in just 6 months my boys may be talking in sentences and looking so grown-up!

Also, when the lawnmower makes a reappearance (when Cary and Dean are 2), I will be the mother of THREE children, one of them a 3 month old!

Wow.

All the more reason why the changing seasons has me so contemplative.

No comments: