I had a marathon morning.
First stop, a growth scan (ultrasound) at the perinatologist. Then, fetal monitoring, also at the perinatal center. Then, an OB appointment.
I'm sleepy from all that doctoring!
Here's the long and short of my visits:
Curve Ball is still big -- plenty big. She's looking on the ultrasound to be about 4 lbs. 13 oz., which is insane. At this point, most babies are somewhere around 3 lbs. 8 oz., which is about what she was last visit. Four weeks ago.
(And that is already bigger than either Cary or Dean were at birth!)
I keep getting visions in my head of the Stay Puft marshmallow man growing in my uterus. Oy.
The good news is, somehow, the doctors said that her rate of growth appears to have slowed a tad, and her abdomen (although still large) isn't AS large as it was, proportionately speaking.
So, the insulin is working! Now I just have to keep it up, so that her growth slows even more. Let's hope I'm able to pull that off.
Fetal monitoring was uneventful. I started a new book and dozed a little bit while it was going on.
And the OB and I had a good discussion about possible scenarios around delivery of this baby, since she is a chubster.
Although the doctor used words like "avoiding an obstetric catastrophe," which still are bouncing around in my head, actually she didn't stress me out or make me worried. I think that's the sign of a good doctor.
The bottom bottom line is that we'll know more about how Curve Ball is likely to be delivered around 36 weeks. But it's pretty unlikely they'll let me go into labor naturally. It's looking like either an induction, or a C-section. And possibly between 37 and 39 weeks.
How curious is it that I delivered TWO babies vaginally, but will probably have to deliver this ONE baby by C-section?
This is yet another thing to file under the "You Just Never Know What Life Has in Store for You" file.
That file in my house, by the way, is overflowing.
2 comments:
The marshmallow man imagery totally got me!
I was proud of my ability to sleep through non-stress tests including them moving transponders.
Why do OBs like catastrophe and its associated forms so much? I still don't like the word catastrophic.
I also like to point out that between my 8 pound, 1 ounce baby and the 3 pound, 1 ounce baby it was the three pounder who had to be c-sectioned!
I've had two c-sections and can't compare them to vaginal births, but as long as you get up and walk the next day the recovery isn't bad. Don't be a wuss and don't even try to pick up the boys right after. My doctor let me stay in the hospital two extra days and it definitely made it easier to deal with the toddler and newborn dynamic.
Post a Comment