Thursday, January 12, 2012

Maybe they aren't moving so fast after all!

Despite my pleas with everyone NOT to buy Cary and Dean anything that "sings, lights up, plays music, or requires batteries," for Christmas, my Dad insisted on giving them motorized cars!

Motorized cars that you sit in. And drive. Really fast.

I was flabbergasted. They're too little! I said. They aren't ready for that kind of thing! Maybe when they're 3?? Maybe? I begged my parents to hold on to the cars until their 2nd birthday, when they'll be a little bit bigger, slightly more mature, and the weather will be warmer so they can actually use them. Secretly, I don't want those darn cars even then, but I was trying to compromise.

Unfortunately, my Dad never won any awards for his compromising skills. Bless his heart.

So Cary and Dean got big, loud, really fast, motorized cars for Christmas.


My Dad was so excited. He couldn't wait to put the boys on the cars and whoooosh them around the kitchen on Christmas Day.

Needless to say, my two little, not-yet-2-year-olds were terrified of them. Absolutely terrified.

Even today, when Cary sees them at my parents' house he says, "Car. Dranddad. Push! Noooooo!" and runs away.

Meanwhile, my mom found two little schoolbuses at the local CVS and gave them to the boys last weekend when I was there, and Cary and Dean barely let those things out of their sight. Guess what I told Mom and Dad to buy the boys for Christmas? A fire truck. And a school bus.

I'm not one to say 'I told you so,' but....(clears throat) (clears throat again)...

At first my Dad was a little bit hurt, I think. He really was so excited about those contraptions.

But then, this past weekend, he found something lying around in his garage that is a little more Cary and Dean's speed:



Scooters! They love 'em! And look how slow they go! Yay! This is more Mommy's speed, too.

Bonus -- Scooters don't make noise. And...these ones stay at my parents'! Whooo-hooo!

Note: You get to see some of my crazy (and wonderful) nieces and nephews in this shot, including my 6-year-old niece Aminah, who is so desperate to be in the shot that she waves her hands in front of the phone, and then, when that doesn't work, does a cartwheel! Such a 6-year-old move! Gotta love the aplomb on that girl.

1 comment:

Wiley said...

I really prefer things with no batteries, but it's hard to convince others of that...