So when we learned that a few top colleges (Princeton, Stanford, U of Michigan and Penn) joined to create an online university that offers courses for free, we jumped at the chance to be a part of it.
Through Coursera, you get the chance to study from great professors through video lectures, and collaboration with thousands of others who have signed up. For FREE. How cool is that?
So we, both being writers (at one time in our lives anyway), signed up for a 10-week course on Modern and Contemporary Poetry, by a Penn professor. We'll look at such writers as William Carlos Williams, Lorine Niedecker, John Ashbery, Rae Armantrout, Gertrude Stein, Anne Waldman, Amiri Baraka, Charles Bernstein, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman. And we'll get to write some poetry of our own.
It starts in September. I'm excited!! Did I mention this is all FREE?
Anyway, to practice, I thought I'd write a little pedestrian piece of poetry about how quickly my boys are growing up and away from me. I never was much of a poet, truthfully. But maybe this class will help me get better.
Storm Door
Music blares from cars outside; children hang, shriek and laugh.
My
boys are rapt.
All I want to do is keep them safe, innocent
With me.
How long will this storm door hold them?
2 comments:
You are my hero. What a beautiful poem (and picture to go with it)! I had pretty much resigned to losing brain cells from lack of sleep over the next couple of years; it would never occur to me to attempt to learn something at this point. Very good for you! I am inspired!
I like the concept of free. Maybe I'll check out and enroll in one of the classes... maybe???
Post a Comment