Friday, September 14, 2012

My visit to Badparentingville

This bad-Mommy-moment brought to you by the couch-destroying Davis children:

This week, my children were happily playing in the living room after I got home from work.
The boys were busy doing, doing, doing and Clair was happily babbling on a blanket, gumming everything in sight.

Lester was working late, so I decided to take advantage of their contentedness to go start getting dinner together. I snuck off into the kitchen.

While preparing the food, I heard the boys yelling "Pillow Mountain!" one of their favorite games. They like to take all the couch pillows, throw them on the floor, and then dive into the mountain headfirst. This can occupy them for an hour or more. It's awesome (even if my couch pillows are now destroyed and dingy).
PILLOW MOUNTAIN!!! So much fun! But wait...someone's missing. Hmmm. Who could it be?

Despite the insanity coming from her brothers as they tossed the pillows onto the floor, Clair was still just playing quietly. "She is such a good baby," I thought. (Heart swells with love and pride...)

Finally, I decided to check on them before they started leaping, to make sure the pillows were arranged safely (occasionally, someone takes a dive off of Pillow Mountain and hits the floor).

And just where was quiet Clair, you ask??

UNDER THE MOUNTAIN OF PILLOWS!!

It hadn't occurred to me that Clair's blanket was right there by the couch -- the very landing spot of all the pillows. It hadn't occurred to me that the boys wouldn't think to avoid smothering their sister when playing Pillow Mountain!

I hastily removed the pillows. Poor Clair had her face buried inside her pink Boppy pillow, and her body completely covered with couch pillows. Thank GOD the boys hadn't quite finished building the mountain and so hadn't started jumping yet!

LORDHAVEMERCY!! Talk about heart-stopping moments in Badparentingville.

All was well, thank God. Clair was actually laughing when I unburied her. She thought being covered in pillows and then uncovered by Mommy was a funny game! And after I moved her and her blanket to a safe spot, I talked to the boys about not burying their baby sister in pillows ever. ever. again.

Could someone please take my passport to Badparentingville away? I really, really don't like it there. 

(And yet I know I'll be back again many times. Sigh.)

3 comments:

LauraC said...

OMG that is so awesome. Definitely a story you will remember for a long long long time!!

DCAngel said...

Wow, I had anxiety just reading this! Eek. I'm glad everything turned out okay.

It must be something about this age - Zachary also has no qualms about bumping, crushing, elbowing, kneeing, smothering his siblings.

Candice Baptiste said...

This was sooo funny it brought tears to my eyes. I was able to thoroughly enjoy it cause I knew it had a happy ending. Thank you for giving me a laugh!