Remember "Beauty School Dropout?" That song from Grease?
I've been singing that song in my head a lot the last couple days, but with the words "online class" instead of "beauty school."
It's a little pathetic to be this woefully behind on a self-paced,
online, non-graded class. But, alas, it has only been two weeks and I am
nearly a full week behind. The stress of thinking about how far behind I am
is getting to me.
I'm having dreams about being called on in class and not knowing the answers. People who know me will know how such a RARE occurrence would freak me the freak out! I always knew the answers, people! Especially in my humanities courses. Emily Dickinson better reck-a-nize!
Anyway, I think I will "withdraw" from this stress-causing course and let Lester tell me all about it later. Somehow, he's able to find time to fit it all in. Mad props, Les. I'm not hating. No, not at all.
To make myself feel better about this failure, I decided to write a poem!
Dope
by Tanika Davis
I don't know what I was smokin' when I thought --
I can take a poetry class in the middle of
My Crazy Life --
This ain't Howard --
I'm no hundred-pound Undergrad.
I'm a worker.
A Mother.
A Friend.
A Lover.
A Sister, a daughter, a board member.
A Wife --
It's not my Fault, Walt.
I dwell in Reality, Emily --
Will your elaborate conceits
Change my sheets?
No?
Didn't think so.
And so --
ModPro must go.
I don't know what I was smokin'
When I took on this chore.
But I wish I could get my hands on
Some more.
3 comments:
Oh my goodness. Dude--when you get some time, you SHOULD take the poetry class. YOU ROCK!!! LOL. But in the meantime, do not feel bad for dropping this class. If it's stressful, it's not worth it. I've been trying to figure out if I can start doing volunteer work one night a week and the short answer is, NO, I can not. Not yet, anyway. Give me another year or two, and I think I'll be in a better place. For now, I'm in survival mode! Hang in there. :-)
You.
Are.
Crazy.
But I have to say, "Will your elaborate conceits change my sheets?" is pretty damn brilliant. Not quite "smokin'-MCs-like-a-pound-of-bacon" brilliant, but pretty damn brilliant nonetheless.
Can I have some of whatever you were smoking, too?
Brilliant! But you've always had a way with words and you don't need a poetry class to keep that skill honed, you've better pretty good at turning a phrase in this blog.
Post a Comment