Thankfully, everyone was in a really good mood and there were no incidents to speak of. In fact, we had a lot of fun singing at the dinner table and talking about their friends in class. Dean can pretty much name every single kid in his class, even kids with hard names for a 2-year-old to pronounce like "Graciella."
The highlight of the night, though, was after bathtime, when I was putting the boys' pajamas on. While I had Cary on the changing table, Dean told me he had to go to the potty. I sighed, because I knew if I had to sit with him in the bathroom while he lolly-gagged on the toilet, Cary would be running wild in the bathroom, turning the water on and off, and Clair would be getting restless and fussy and the whole bedtime would be prolonged unnecessarily even though everyone knows Dean DID NOT REALLY HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!
But I had to take him, because he asked. So I finished up with Cary and then sat Dean on the kid-seat on the toilet. Of course he starts having a heart attack! "No, no, nooooo!" he said, sliding off the toilet.
I sighed some more. Deanie, I said, you said you had to go potty. Do you not have to go now?
"No, no, noooo!" he yelled. "I want to stand up on the stool."
Great, I thought. Not only do I have to stay in here, but now he wants to stand up. Ugh.
But I had to do it, because he asked, and this is how they're teaching them at pre-school.
So I stood him up on the stool, pointed important parts south, and waited and waited. As I suspected, nothing was coming out. This could go on half the night, I thought, sighing some more.
Finally, I told Dean I was leaving to go read a story to Cary and Clair. I told him to stay in here by himself (I emphasized that part) and put his pee-pee in the toilet, knowing full well he'd hate being alone and would call me back very shortly.
I went into the boys' room, closed the door and started loudly reading their current favorite book, "Two-legged, Four-legged, No-legged Rhymes."
I didn't get very far before I heard Dean frantically yelling for me. My plan worked! I knew he wouldn't stay in there too long by himself. I went into the bathroom and said, "Are you finished trying, sweetie? No pee-pee came out? It's OK, you can try tomorrow."
As he furiously shook his head, I noticed the huge smile on his face.
"No Mommy!" he said. "I DID go pee-pee. I put the pee-pee in there!" He pointed to the toilet.
And sure enough, he had! There was pee in the toilet! He was so excited!
I honestly think that this is the first time he's known he had to go, actually asked to go ahead of time, and then been successful at his attempt. All the other times he's peed/pooped in the potty have been because someone (Michelle, most likely) sat him on the potty after a meal and waited.
So this, my friends, is the first intentional peeing!
We did a happy dance, and hugged and shrieked, and he was so ridiculously proud! (Cary saw all the glee and tried to say he had to go pee-pee, too, but I really knew better than that. Whatever, already-diapered-fibbing-child. You missed that window.)
And the best part was when he came back in his room and went straight to Clair, who was sitting on the floor, chewing on a toy, and leaned down to her level and said, "I did it, Clair! I went pee-pee in the toilet! I did it! And I FLUSHED it!" I loved seeing his eyes all sparkly with happiness.
| And the award for best ability to keep pee-pee OUT of his diaper goes to: Dean Davis!! |
But I have to say last night was really sweet and satisfying. Never thought I'd ever say that about pee. :-)
4 comments:
Yay, yay, yay!!! I am so happy for your big boy!
(Best line: "Whatever, already-diapered-fibbing-child.")
Oh that last picture - are you kidding me? He is adorable with the big smile and the medal and everything! Love it!
When you have kids you celebrate everything especially the things you have been doing for years without a second thought. Yay! Dean!!!!
I get Dean's medal, but Cary's medal is for peeing in his diaper or just helping Dean celebrate his accomplishment???
Actually, the photo is from a different happy-moment altogether. I don't remember what it was, but it apparently was pretty good. But it worked with this post, so I posted it!
Post a Comment