Thursday, February 21, 2013

Throwback Thursday stories

On Instagram (where I mostly lurk, but sometimes post), there's something called "Throwback Thursday." On Thursdays, many Instagrammers post old pictures of themselves or friends or moments from the past.

I really enjoy TBT, especially when there's a story behind the photo that the poster chose to unearth.

I never have any old photos to post, because the scanner we have at home is garbage, and also because most of my old photos, for some reason, still live at my parents' house.

But this week, my Mom had me look on the Facebook page of one of her friends, because he had posted old photos of her and my Dad from fall 1972 at Tufts University, before I was even conceived.

These pictures are priceless.

Check out my Mom, her earrings and her Afro:

She was 18 here. Eighteen!
She looks so much like Cary here, I can't get over it.
 
And here's my Dad and his Afro and his 20-year-old physique:

I have no idea who this random woman is, looking so happy to be squeezed by my Afro'ed Daddy.
Anyway, these pictures make me ask so many questions.

What was my Mom thinking when she was staring into space like that?
How did she get her baby-fine hair into an Afro?
What was going on in their lives and in the world at this time?

In other words, I love the photos, but I really want the story behind them!

Who is that chick with my Dad? Who are those people in the photos behind them? Were Mom and Dad dating yet at this point? Was Mom always so effortlessly beautiful? What is the story??

This is why my Mom and Dad should have had a BLOG back in the day! I would have devoured every word.

4 comments:

DCAngel said...

Those are awesome! I'm with you, I want to know more! Sitting there in that dorm room, how did she think her life would unfold?

But doesn't this make you think that we should be posting more pictures of us? Hmm?

LauraC said...

Oh my goodness. My dad has hair just like me and he had a rocking afro in the 70s. I should really scan a photo, it is ridiculous and huge. I NEED HIS SECRETS.

I love old photos, no surprise there. I have tons of family photos in albums at my house. Visit one day and I will show you!!

Beth said...

I love those! Um, can't you ask your dad about them, though? LOL. That's why it's awesome that you're blogging about your life. The historian in me loves the idea that our kids will read our blogs in the future and have a pretty good idea of who we were and what our lives were like. I think I'll go look through old family pictures tonight . . . :-)

Unknown said...

Yes, we were dating back then;notice me in the photo to the left keeping a watchful eye, LOL. The girl he was hugging was his roommate's girlfriend.