Thursday, March 28, 2013

Crowdsourcing for Kids' Music

After my post yesterday, my sister sent me a note saying that she has a favorite version of "Crawdad Hole" by a children's musician Elizabeth Mitchell.

She gifted the song to the kids through iTunes and we listened to it this morning. It was slower and sweeter than the version we hopped around to two nights ago, but it was quite pretty and the boys and I both enjoyed it. I'll add it to the repertoire.

We listen to a lot of kids' music in the house and in the car, but it's either VeggieTales, traditional kids' songs from a CD I bought before the boys were even born, or the Pandora Sesame Street station.

It's all good -- well the CD is a little lame, I'll admit -- but it's probably time to add some artists to the playlists.

What kids' music do you all like best?


4 comments:

LauraC said...

I really like Raffi. We also listen to Kids' Place Live on XM Radio and have gotten a lot of songs through there. Mine are a little older so their favorites right now are the Pitch Perfect soundtrack. All of the songs. It is SO GOOD to not listen to kids' music!

DCAngel said...

My very favorite kids' musician of all time (besides Jim Henson, of course), is Justin Roberts. He's the one that sang "Cartwheels and Somersaults" about a new baby sister (always makes me cry). But most of his stuff is really funny and catchy, like "My Brother Did It," "Meltdown" and "Imaginary Rhino."

DCAngel said...

Actually, pretend you didn't just read that. I know what I'm getting your boys for their birthday!!

Fabulous Mari said...

Antony really loves Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Renata Tebaldi, Rosemary Clooney, George Gershwin, Stravinsky, and the Sorcerer's Apprentice by Dukas. Those are some of our go to favorites. (I told you I can't listen to "traditional children's music". It makes my ears bleed a slow death)