Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Health updates

Last week we took Cary to the ENT. After a battery of tests, he agreed with the doctor from the Hearing Assessment Center: Cary needs tubes in his ears.

We conferred with our pediatrician and he is on board. So tubes it is.

All the doctors agree that there's no real rush, so I think we will make the appointment for a week or so before or after our trip to the beach in mid-July.

Strangely enough, I'm not worried or nervous at all. I just want my sweetie to hear normally. The end.

About me: I got my results back from my blood work.

The good news: My cholesterol is much lower than it was the last time my doctor tested it, so he's not worried about that (for now).

The OK news: My blood sugar levels are at 6.2. For background, doctors consider less than 5 to be absolutely normal. They consider 7 or more to be diabetic. Anywhere between the high fives and the high sixes is "pre-diabetic." That's me.

The last time I was tested my number was 6.1. So my doctor considers this to be "holding steady." No medication necessary, no real intervention needed. He did tell me to continue to watch my diet, and to "add in some exercise." To which I say, "Yes, of course," and "Easier said than done, doc."

The bad news: My Vitamin D is miserably low. Most things I've read say a good number should be somewhere between 45 and 60. My number is 17. (Tam, you were right!) Ack!

The jury is still out about all the true health benefits of adequate Vitamin D, but I admit to being intrigued by the hypothesized connections to blood sugar and to immune system health. 

My doctor told me to take 5,000 mgs. a day of Vitamin D. We looked for capsules that high in Target and didn't find them, so as soon as we get to a health food/vitamin store, I'll pick some up. I fully intend to try to build up my Vitamin D and see if it helps at all with all the sickness. I have also been taking my sweet time  when walking in the sun, although I am nowhere near up to 15 minutes a day.

Maybe I can build up a whole year's supply of Vitamin D when we go to the beach!! Hmm, now there's a thought.

All in all, not great news on the health front, but not terrible, either. Nothing we can't work with.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

Get the tubes AFTER the beach trip. Depending on the doctor, some doctors want you to have them wear ear plugs in their ears after the tubes when you are not in sanitized water (jury is out on this). Get the tubes BEFORE the beach trip if it means you will be spending your trip dealing with ear infections.

Also my vitamin D was super low (single digits) and they prescribed me a mega dose vitamin D. I felt better within a week. I had SO MUCH ENERGY!

http://jonandlaura.blogspot.com/2011/01/update-on-many-things-unrelated-to.html

Unknown said...

I have vitamin D drops that are 2,000 IU/drop-super easy.

Kelly said...

So glad you guys reached a decision on Cary that you feel good about. Yay for not worrying!!! Can I have some of that magic non-worry potion now, please?

And glad your health is well. And girl, we ALL have a Vitamin D deficiency. I got diagosed with crazy low Vit D about a year and a half ago and started supplements. To be honest, I never really noticed a difference when taking the supplements. Then again, I never felt any symptoms in the first place. I have been lucky and haven't been sick in the longest time... so who knows. I do think, however, it is totally appropriate for us all to insist our husbands take us on an extended vacay to the Dominican Republic. Our HEALTH demands it!

xo

Beth said...

Okay--I'm going to get my D checked ASAP. Glad your cholesterol and sugar levels are stable or dropping. Baby steps!