So yesterday, we took Cary to see a pediatric opthamologist.
And sure enough, my little sweetie is nearsighted and has astigmatism.
![]() |
| This is what things look like for Cary. And if they're too far away -- forget it. |
That poor kid, I swear. If ain't one thing, it's another with him. First his ears (which I have some lingering concerns about, by the way, but that's a post for another day) and now this.
In the scheme of things, having to sport spectacles is far from the worst thing that could ever happen to a child, I know. But I still feel sad that my little 4 lb.-4 ouncer seems to have really borne the brunt of being born too early and too small. I keep thinking, "If only I could've kept him in another week! Even a few more days!" I know that's silly. But if I could go back in time and force myself to stay in bed the week before my water broke, I would so do it. (I'd do a lot of other things differently too, come to think of it, if I had access to a time machine. Most of them involve traveling, saving money and avoiding narcissistic, emotionally unavailable knuckleheads. But I digress.)
We ordered a pair of glasses for him that look similar to this (but not exactly these) and they'll arrive in about seven business days.
| OK, I gotta admit. He is pretty darn cute in glasses! |
I'm not sure how one gets a 4-year-old to keep a pair of eyeglasses on all day, everyday. So if anyone has suggestions, I'll take 'em. I did order two books for him about having to wear glasses. And we've been trying to downplay the "problem" with his eyes and play up the coolness of getting to wear glasses.
But other than that - I have no frame of reference for this (no pun intended). Pro tips, anyone?
All I know is, despite the ear challenge and the eye challenge -- and whatever else comes up in his little life -- all my eyes see when I look at him is pure perfection.

4 comments:
aww... he looks so cute with glasses. hopefully they don't bother him. you better buy a couple pairs!! you'll probably lose/break one easily. (not because it's you and not because it's him but because kids... you know what i mean)
He is adorable in the glasses. You may be surprised but he may keep them on because he can finally see. I have a colleague with a 2 1/2 year old who says that is what happened with her baby.
So cute with the glasses!!
I have astigmatism and contacts have come a long long LONG way since I was a kid. They used to not have contacts for astigmatism and now I wear daily disposables that correct my vision perfectly. The first time I put on glasses as a kid, I was like LOOK AT THE WORLD!!
He's so cute in glasses! You might want to look into Zenni optical too where I buy many of mine. He can get some small sporty glasses and sunglasses too. My brother Ted started wearing glasses at 3 and he broke and lost them pretty regularly :-(
Post a Comment