After my appointments, the doctor called in the afternoon and said they have scheduled me for an induction on Monday, Feb. 20th!! So there it is -- Curve Ball's birthday already penciled in!
I can't believe it's less than a week away, but somehow it still seems like an eternity. Mostly because I am not sleeping hardly at all anymore, thanks to discomfort and last-weeks-of-pregnancy insomnia. So I'm exhausted all day long, no exaggeration. And consequently, I have no patience for my three guys when I'm at home. They probably think I am the world's grumpiest person.
I also keep going back and forth between feelings of excitement that my baby daughter will be here next week, relief that I will no longer be pregnant, and anxiety about all things induction-and-labor-and-delivery-related, newborn-related, and adding a third child to a family-related, too. My brain is constantly going, going, going, with so many disparate and heavy thoughts.
And of course, I'm still thinking about all the tedious leftover things I have to do. Last night, I had the beginnings of a sugar low, so I got up at 1:30 a.m. to eat a snack, and while eating, I made ever more lists of stuff to do, including things I need to finish at work, and personal things like get Thank You cards written, addressed and mailed, figure out how to put the Bundle Me on the infant car seat, and send out paper invitations to my sister's baby shower. All before Monday.
So, yes, my brain is going non-stop!
Add to the mix the fact that we also got word yesterday that Cary and Dean got accepted into the pre-school we wanted them to go to! HOORAY!! Sooooo exciting! Pre-school!
We have options, too, about how often we want to send them, which makes my brain hurt even more.
We had been considering the 5-days-a-week half-day plan, which would have them in school from quarter to 8 until 11:30., giving them an introduction to school, a steady weekly routine, and giving Michelle a very small break, since she'll also have Curve Ball now to care for.
But because there are plenty of openings, we were told we can also send them three days a week, half-day; or three- or five-days a week full-day (which would end their day at 2:30).
Three days a week, half-day would be cheaper, saving us a little money (which is always welcome, especially during the Year of Austerity).
But to make Michelle's life easier, we're now leaning toward the three days a week, full day.
This way, she'd have three days a week where she is mostly home with only one little baby. And two days a week where she has all three munchkins.
Those of you who have been through the pre-school thing before, what do you think?
- Is 7:45 to 2:30 too long of a day for 2-and-a-half-year-olds? (They'd be starting in the fall).
- Is it better for kids their age to be in school 5 days a week for continuity's sake? Or is it sorta nice for them to transition into school slowly, and still have two days at home with their beloved babysitter? (This is my line of thinking, btw.)
- If you were a sitter of three kids, who was woefully underpaid, which school scenario sounds more appealing to you?
Either way, we are quite excited about our boys going to school in September, carrying little backpacks and leaving their baby sister at home, like the BIG boys that they are!
Big boys in school! New baby girl at home! Life is pretty exciting around this house these days.
I just hope Curve Ball doesn't decide to add any more excitement by arriving earlier than Monday! Please Curve Ball, in this case, don't live up to your name! :-)
8 comments:
Wahoo! So glad it worked out for Monday. As for preschool options, your boys are going to need an afternoon nap, and getting out of school at 2:30 is kind of going to mess that up. You could put them down once they're home, but then they probably wouldn't go to sleep until 3:00 p.m., and then that might mess up bedtime. I'd opt for the half day, and then Michelle can get them home and down for naps. Hopefully, Curve ball will get into a little groove of morning naps while the boys are in school, giving Michelle even more of a little break!
Good luck to you!!!! Lots of hugs and kisses. I'm thinking of taking the boys to Baltimore on Monday to visit a museum (depends on weather) so if I do, I may drop something off at your house. So email me your address. If I don't make it Monday, then I'll try to make it the following weekend, or the one after that. (Whenever you're up for visitors!)
Full day pre-school includes lunch and a nap. Should've mentioned that.
Also, I'll e-mail you the other stuff.
Did you figure out transporting them in the car?
We've always done full-time and Trajan has handled it well at all ages. I kind of feel like the same routine everyday for all four of them might be a bit easier, but that's more or less an arbitrary feeling!
Oh wow - Monday! That's so soon! And yes, that's easy for me to say. (As an aside, I got an emailed reminder from gmail this morning saying "Curve Ball's Due Date 2/28"! You've made a liar out of gmail. :) ) I am so excited and nervous for you!
As for preschool - what a weird concept! Our babies are just babies! They can't possibly don backpacks and lunchboxes, can they?? Can they??! As for your question, you know the boys are going to adapt well to whatever you decide, but I read once that the secret to a happy child is consistency. My child has a consistent routine, but he still has his meltdowns more often than I care to admit, so it could all be bunk. I would still be more inclined to do a half day 5 days per week instead of fewer longer days though.
Is it really cheaper to have Michelle watch them than to have them in preschool full time??
I'd vote with Beth and do 5 days a week because 2 year olds very much need routines, particularly when a new baby is about to come jack up their rountines! Also why pay to have them nap somewhere???
You know I'm clueless about the pre-school thing, since I'm totally dealing with my own dilemma on that one... but, one thought: as LauraC points out, it sounds like with the full day option, you're essentially paying for naptime. Sure, full day gives Michelle a bit of extra time without all three kids, but if they boys were at home with her during those hours, they'd be napping anyhow. I vote for half days -- save the cash.
And yaaaaaaay for next Monday! as i said earlier holyshitholyshitholyfuckingshit! and wooohooo, so excited for you. try not to worry about getting everything done and just get some rest whenever and however you can! xoxo
Following up . . . The included lunch part is a nice option! But what time would they eat and what time would they nap? Nap time at our full day program is around 12:30 or 1:00 to 3:00. And your kids may be different, but mine usually slept the full two hours and then some. And they needed it. Probably more important than our opinions, however, would be Michelle's opinion. What does she think? Could you start with half days and then transition to full days if Michelle finds that that would be easier?
I can't really help on which would be better for the boys since mine were/are with me until Caje started school this year at 4. With that said I agree with Beth... ask Michelle.
Post a Comment