Lester put me on speaker-phone so I could talk to the boys. Cary just wanted to push the buttons and giggle, but Dean had something to say:
Dean: Hi, Muh-muh.
Me: Hi, Deanie!!
Dean: Mo racka? (Lester had given them crackers to tide them over before dinner, and Dean wanted more. Lester had already said "no" a thousand times. So now he's asking me.)
Me: You want more crackers?
Dean: Pre-pees. (For some reason, he always says "pretty please," even though no one seems to recall teaching him that.)
Me: No, sweetie. Daddy said the crackers are all gone. It's almost time for dinner.
Dean: Dinner. Ah-mose.
Me. That's right. It's almost time for dinner. Do you want some good dinner? Daddy's gonna give you dinner soon.
Dean: Nooooooo! No dinner!
(Lester, in the background: "Cary, do you want some dinner?" Cary: "Noooooooooooo!! Nooooooo! Pway! [play]")
Me: Ummm, OK, babe. Talk to you later. (I felt meltdowns coming on any second and, to be frank, the radio was rockin' in the car, and I much preferred some sweet tunes to the cacophony of screaming toddlers.)
I recount this little scene to point out that I had a fairly intelligible phone conversation with my not-yet 21-month old baby, the one who is actually the least talkative of the two.
This just goes to show you Moms of infant twins or twin-Moms-to-be (you know who you are, DCAngel and Wiley) that all the books that tell you that twins will likely be speech delayed, and that boys will likely be speech delayed, and that preemies will likely be speech delayed -- all those books don't know diddly.
Now, I'm not saying don't read the books. I read them and I continue to read them. I just ordered the next in the series of Ames books to help me understand year 2 for the boys. The books ARE helpful. But they are not the end-all, be-all.
YOU know your kid(s) better than anyone. And you can defy the odds (barring any actual developmental issues that need outside intervention) just by doing what comes naturally to you: loving your babies, reading constantly to them, talking to them not at them, repeating things 800 million times, etc. etc.
It fueled me every time I read that twins were likely to get HALF the attention that a single baby would get. It drove me to say, That's what you think, baby books! My boys are going to get DOUBLE the attention. Ha! Take that!
And so I made it my mission. I made my sister read to them in the NICU when she came to see them. My Nana laughed at us that we read to them at one week old. "Will you look at this?!" she cackled. "Reading books to them already!" We never designated a "storytime." Anytime was a good time to read. We play music (kids' songs) everyday, regardless of how sick we get of hearing them. We sing to them ALL the time. They see TV in the mornings, when we're getting ready for work ("Noose!" they demand, if we don't have the Today Show turned on fast enough) and during football games (Lester insists). But other than that, no TV. We are with them, doing things and talking about what we're doing, explaining and expounding and then explaining some more. It's exhausting, if I'm being honest. But it's important.
(Two months old, already dreaming about books:)

And I'm not patting myself on the back here -- there are a million things I could and should do better as a parent. (Oh, yes, sooo many things!) I'm just saying that we were determined to make their early years language-rich, and so we try really hard not to let ourselves lapse in that area.
It goes to show you that determination can pay off!
Now...enter Curve Ball in a few weeks.
Will we have the energy to do it all over again?? Seriously, when I say that all that talking/reading/repeating/explaining/singing is exhausting, I mean it. How will we ever muster the energy to do this all again??
"Yes, CurveBall. That's a spoon. A spoon. Do you see the spoon? You have a blue spoon. We eat with a spoon. Mmmm. Eat! Do you want your spoon? Cary has a spoon. Dean has a spoon, too. Let's hold your spoon. Do you want to read the fun book we read yesterday about the dish running away with the spoon? Let's get the book and read it. Book. Mommy will go get the book. Mommy LOVES to read books. Do you like books?"
Lordhavemercy. I'm tired just thinking about it.
I pray I have the energy, the strength, the wherewithal to do for my ONE child what I did (and continue to do) for the two first-borns.
Which is why I ordered ... two books about that! :-)
11 comments:
I actually had a different experience. We read like crazy and talked like crazy but the boys were VASTLY different in their speech. Nate was super ahead of the curve while Alex was right on the border of speech delay for the first 3 years. Leads me to believe you can only do so much and the rest is up to the kid!
I read the constitution, the magna carta, and all kind of other historical documents from an app I had of historical documents to Chiron in the NICU! We figured out he satted better when I was reading and so kept at it!
You have fueled into a fear that has been bothering me every night recently. How the heck will I have enough time to read to everyone as necessary?!? It already is an hour every night. Guessing there will be some combining (which totally works, Trajan already frequently attends Chiron's reading sessions).
It probably doesn't surprise you that I'm a book reader too!
I've actually managed to not really be concerned about CHiron's speech "delay". I figure that in part it's our fault for not doing sign language with him like we did Trajan and every doctor/therapist/etc. that I've ever talked to says that the language catchup happens last. And he's done a kick ass job in all other areas, so just gonna wait.
Thanks for the reassurance! And when in doubt, you know, foreswear sleep ;-)
Yes, I believe that too. Having twins will surely show you how the exact same parenting skills/tactics can lead to totally different results. I hope my post didn't come off like "Hey! We're the best parents ever because our kids don't (APPEAR) speech-delayed." I just wanted people to know not to get scared by the books that all but tell you to give up. Don't read to your kids. They're going to be speech-delayed anyway. That really bothered me.
Wait, there's an argument that they are going to be speech delayed and so DON'T read?!?!
That seems batshit crazy.
Well, no, but that's sorta how reading all those books could make you feel. Every time they say, "Twins will NEVER talk. Preemies will NEVER talk. BOYS will NEVER talk." it just makes you feel like, "well what's the point?"
I was half-prepared to have mutes running around my house. But they're just fine. (For now...LOL!)
The Constitution! Ha!! And I love that you had them on an app! I have solitaire on an app. And words with friends. I'm lame.
Holy crap, I'm exhausted just reading your discussion about the spoon. But thank you for the assurance that things will be okay! I will need that often!
(I can't believe I didn't think to read the Constitution to my little guy yet. I'll put it on the list for after "Clifford Counts.")
It's called historical documents by standard works. One free app and literally days of reading material!
One of his nurses requested I switch to People one day ;-).
Lester reads them the NYT and Esquire magazine. But I can't get them interested in my reading choices: "Your 1-Year-Old," "Your Pregnancy, Week-by-Week," etc. Maybe we should all try the Constitution! The Magna Carta, though? Ugh. Maybe I'll read them MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech! That's got an awesome cadence.
I'd forgotten! I did read him that. Along with several other MLK works that I'd never read!
He liked Langston Hughes as well.
I was still finishing up exams, so his poor older brother had to hear actuarial textbooks.
Awww, your boys are awesome in every way! You are such a wonderful mama, of course they were going to turn out nothing short of fabulous. As for being "scared by the books," this is precisely why I try not to read baby books! General reference? Sure. Diving down the book rabbit hole or reaching the end of the internet in search of some sort of parenting certainty that doesn't exist? I can't do that to myself anymore. Books tend to make me doubt my good mommy instincts and worry too much, instead of being in the moment and enjoying my crazy child for who she is.
Post a Comment