But sometimes, more than others, I am really struck by how different they are. Today, for example, Michelle and I took the boys to Port Discovery, something we've done many times. I took photos, as I always do, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was doing, really, because frankly I have a zillion photos of them at Port Discovery now. So I was sorta vacantly snapping.
When I got home, though, and went to share the photos by e-mail with Lester, I couldn't help but notice this:
Dean, in constant motion, so much so that he is hard to photograph:
And Cary, very often, sitting and reading:
This is not to say that Dean doesn't like to read. He does. And sing! Boy does he love to sing.
And it is not to say that Cary doesn't run around like a crazy person, tearing my house up every day. He most certainly does. His favorite words these days are, "outside," "pway" and "park."
Lester is very nervous when I start categorizing my boys in the way that this post is doing. And I truly don't want to label them, for many reasons, but especially because I want them to discover who they are and who they want to become without potentially-damaging interference.
But the camera don't lie, peoples. You can see it for yourselves.
People are who they are; even those lucky people who happen to share a womb and a birthday.
********
Meanwhile, CLAIR UPDATE!
We went for her 6 week check-up yesterday -- even though she's technically 6-weeks-old today (Happy 6 weeks, Clair!) -- and my sweetie is 10 lbs. 4 oz. and 22 inches long. Yay! She's well-nourished! (Guilt-ridden bottle-feeding mommas out there, you know what I'm talkin' about!)
She started smiling at me about 10 days ago, and boy does that whole-face, toothless smile make a difference to a sleep-deprived mother! So far, Clair is very, very smiley and is always moving her mouth as if she wants to talk to me. I think this means she will grow into a happy, chatty girl, and I am pleased as can be with that.
After her doctor's appointment, I went to Panera and ordered breakfast, sat a table and read the paper and e-mail, while Clair napped in her carseat. When she got fussy, I fed her and then held her in my arms while I continued to read. She was so peaceful and smiley (even in her sleep), and I started thinking about how wonderful it will be when I can really, really hang out with my daughter, just the two of us, out on the town, having a bite to eat and enjoying one another. Of course, I started crying a little bit thinking about just how happy I am that God chose me to have a daughter -- and that He chose Clair to be the daughter I got.
Of course, I have no idea who these three human beings I gave birth to will turn out to be in the long run. But they sure are spectacular right now.
1 comment:
Wow, those pictures do make an impressive contrast.
I bow to your well-nourished formula fed baby and find you to be far superior to anything I ever did with my poisoning of children with breastmilk.
You sure do make a singleton sound easy there!
I agree on the not knowing what they will turn out like in the long run, but won't the ride be amazing?
Post a Comment