As the weather gets warmer, and my maternity leave days dwindle, I seem to be cramming more and more into the weekends. This weekend was no different.
Friday morning, I met up with my friend Jen and her two sweeties Molly and Keegan (Keegan's just a few weeks younger than Clair) and had a playground playdate. The boys and Clair had a ball!
Friday night, Lester and I had Date Night!! (Thanks to Michelle, who donated her babysitting time just because she is super sweet like that. We really LOVE Michelle.)
Lester gave me flowers when he got home from work (awww!), and then we went to a Turkish restaurant for dinner, where the food was amazing. We ate and drank and talked and, because we had a window seat, we people-watched and talked some more. It was really lovely.
As good as the Turkish are with delicious meats and rice dishes, they are not so hot in the dessert department. So when we left there, we went to Morton's for their LEGENDARY HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!! I honestly could not, in a million years, tell you how much I love Morton's LEGENDARY HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE! I love it so much that I have to say it in ALL CAPS every single time I say it, or else you will not properly understand how much I love, love, love Morton's LEGENDARY HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE!
It takes 30 minutes to make it, so while we waited, I ordered colossal shrimp cocktail and Lester had a Glenfidditch 12 year, neat. Then we both devoured the LEGENDARY HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE!!! and nearly collapsed from being so stuffed and happy and also a little bit drunk.
When we got home, all the children were asleep, and they stayed that way until ...wait for it.... 8 o'clock the next morning!!! Seriously, I think I can still hear angels singing from that marvelous occurrence.
We hustled and got ready so we could meet our friends Mark and Kelly (and their little girl Naomi) at the Touch-a-Truck festival in their neighborhood. We imagined our boys would lose their minds over all the trucks, buses, cars, etc. they'd be able to see, touch and climb in. And lose their minds they did, but not in the way we saw it in our heads.
Cary loved riding on the little train they had set up.
![]() |
| Someday I'll tell you how my child got out in public and acted as if he had no idea what "wait your turn" means. #Iswearmychildhashometraining |
![]() |
| What? This IS my happy face. |
It was really noisy and incredibly loud what with all the sirens blaring and horns honking, and the trucks and buses must've seemed frighteningly bigger to them up close. No amount of balloon-buying, bounce-house-attempting (also a major FAIL) or faux excitement on our part could stop the melting down. At a certain point, both boys had to be held or else they would completely lose it.
![]() | |||
| Cary, being held by Kelly, refused to even look at the camera. Dean was fine as long as he was in Lester's arms. |
But nearly 2 years into this thing, we know to just cut our losses, pack up the crying kiddos, laugh at the insanity, kiss our friends, arrange a time to see them without crying kiddos (and with cocktails instead) and keep on with the rest of the day. No problemo.
So that's what we did.
We first went to see my sister at her house so we could give the boys' cousins Aminah and Kwahli their birthday presents. Aminah turned 7 on Friday and Kwahli turned 4 on Saturday. I have pictures from that popsicle-filled visit as well, but my sister Kadija would kill me for posting them, because she hates photos of herself. So I will respect her wishes and not post them.
From there, we went to my Mom's and spent the entire day there. My mother bought the boys a bubble lawnmower that was supposed to be for their birthday, but she couldn't wait to give it to them. I don't have to tell you that they thought this was the BEST. THING. EVER.
| What? This IS my happy face! |
| Zebra-print throw = napping New-Jersey-style |
| Mom and Matthew, me and Clair |
And because it was Cinco de Mayo, we made soft tacos for the kids and
strawberry margaritas for the adults. (Tahira has the best strawberry
margarita recipe, with real blended strawberries. Yummmm!)
All the Davises were
exhausted by the end of the night, so we put on an Elmo Sings the Hits
DVD in the car on the way home, keeping Cary and Dean singing happily --
and not crying even a little bit, despite the fact that they barely napped all day and it was 2 hours past their bedtime! The no-crying also made Mom and Dad happy, which is why I totally thumb my nose at the "your children will DIE if you let them ever watch television before they turn 2" madness.
At home, we put the kids in a warm, soapy tub to wash off all the popsicles, birthday cake, grass, Touch-a-Truck tears, taco sauce, bubble mixture and strawberries, got all three crankies in the bed, had another Cinco de Mayo toast and conked out ourselves. Clair slept until 6:30 a.m. (in her own crib!) drank a bottle and went back to sleep until 10. Her brothers didn't make a peep until 9:30 a.m.
Sunday morning, I made French toast, put the kids down for a nap, met two friends for lunch, came home, played with the boys, cooked dinner, drove BACK to my Mom's because we accidentally left Lester's car keys there, listened to two awesome "This American Life" episodes all the way through without interruption on the way up and back (that app is the best thing ever), got home in time to crawl into bed and watch Mad Men with Lester, while all three children slept (in their own cribs!) until the morning.
(NOTE: Notice how I am purposely NOT saying the words "sl*** thr*** the n****" where Clair is concerned, because I know that as soon as I do, it'll never happen again.)
Now it's Monday again and I only have TWO WEEKS left of maternity leave (pardon me while I go cry my eyes out). And I can't decide if I should rest up from the weekend or cram some more stuff in! Like organizing my bathroom closet? Also, the boys turn 2 on Friday and I still have no plan for their big day, so I really need to get crackin' on that.
Hmmm.
I think I'll take nap and organize and plan later. :-)
P.S. SERIOUSLY, WHERE IS AUNT FLO???

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
3 comments:
Okay--you're just rubbing it in with all the sleeping going on in that household. Sounds like you're on to something with the wear-them-completely-the-eff-out-during-the-day idea. Love it! So glad you had such a full but fun weekend. And yikes--two weeks? My how time flies. I'm uber impressed with all you've done in your time off. A maternity leave you can be proud of! LOL.
I read this at work yesterday and couldn't comment about how incredible I thought it was that you were getting so much done, and about how much I wanted to slap you (not very hard though) because your three kids slept so late. Having just read your next post, though, I take back the virtual slap you were going to get yesterday. Sorry. Eeek.
But still, I'm so impressed with all that you're doing! And I'm really anxious for you about the impending end to your leave. I've never tried Morton's LEGENDARY HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE, but I have made chocolate lava cake that is very good and very easy...it might make the end of leave easier to take. http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/molten-chocolate-cakes-69182.aspx
It sounds like a full and absolutely fun weekend. And I am glad you kids were for the most part quite cooperative especially at night-night time. I know how you love your sleep so I am sure you were in heaven!
As far as the "your children will DIE if you let them ever watch television before they turn 2" madness I know it is truly madness cause Caje and Jace were introduced to the TV as soon as their eyes could focus and they are both very much alive and most days sane and dare I say intelligent?
Post a Comment