Here's what I'm reading and contemplating today:
1. Get Off Your Cloud, Marissa!
The New York Times' Maureen Dowd -- who sometimes nails it and sometimes miserably fails it -- published a thought-provoking piece today about the new Yahoo CEO Marissa Meyer, who took a 2-week (!!) maternity leave, built a nursery next to her office, and has now forbidden all employees from ever "working from home." Dowd's column has me thinking a lot about being a working Mom and a woman in the workforce and someone who is constantly recalibrating every aspect of life, trying to maintain some semblance of balance.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/opinion/dowd-get-off-your-cloud.html?hp&_r=0
2. We Need to Stop Faking it on Facebook
This blogger's take on "Fakebooking" resonated with me, as I realized that 1) I sometimes am annoyed when friends make it seem like having kids is a daylong shower of sunshine and chocolate bunnies, and 2) I am guilty of doing this as well, and 3) I sometimes use Facebook to remind myself that life ain't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.
Here's what I wrote on Facebook about it:
Seriously,
sometimes I post the really good stuff to remind MYSELF that my life is
really good. Because I can get in moods where I'm like, "My house is a
wreck; there's laundry everywhere; potty training BITES; I look 5-months
pregnant a year after giving
birth; my kingdom for 6 hours of solid sleep a night; what's this thing
people keep talking about called a "vacation?"; where's all my MONEY I
was supposed to be making by now??? And dammit, if I see another chicken
nugget, I'm going to cry!" So I'll look at photos of my crazy cute kids
and post it up all pretty and Instagrammed and someone will say, "Hey
Tanika, your kids are super cute!" and I do feel better. I can't lie. I
do. I remember that I love my kids and my life, just because someone hit
"Like" and took the time to comment. Is that pathetic? Maybe so. But
it's better than taking up a nightly Scotch habit.
And then, in response to a later comment:
I
agree, Sarah. Most of our friends are good at balancing the humorous,
the self-deprecating and the ain't-life-grand posts. But there are times
when the best parts of my day win out over the worst. I could have
posted, for example, the long list of poop-related
things that happened last night to me (none of which were pretty) with
the status message, "Boy, what a shitty night I've had. Literally." That
would have been funny, I guess. But instead, I chose to post the video
of Clair walking, which made me feel much better about my shitty night.
It's a form of self-censoring, and also a form of Facebook-as-therapy.
Nothing wrong with it, I don't think. So long as there's balance.
http://www.kveller.com/blog/parenting/we-need-to-quit-telling-lies-on-facebook/
3. Life is short. Live it -- really live it -- now, not later. Because later may never come.
Mary Corey was the Features editor at The Baltimore Sun when I worked a brief stint as fashion writer. I admired her very much for her dignity and grace, which seemed to be from another time. But I admit to feeling like her life seemed very lonely. She died yesterday -- at 49 years old, just 10 years older than me. She had her journalism career (which is impressive, no doubt) and her dog. And that's it. I don't want to seem disparaging at all to her, please don't get me wrong. But her death has left me sadder than I thought it would, and I think it's because it reminds me what is really important in life. And I know I can sometimes lose sight of that in my quest to do more, be more, have more. Mary's death is a billboard -- in my opinion -- for the fact that loving is living. And loving well is living well.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obituaries/bs-md-corey-obituary-20130226,0,600276.story
4. Overcoming a Racist Past in Baltimore
Having grown up in very diverse communities, I forget sometimes that for most people life wasn't always this multi-cultural, this tolerant, this Benetton ad personified.
This commentary in today's Sun was amazingly self-reflective and enlightening to me. Being a part of the "minority" population, one of the "aggrieved," it has always seemed like a no-brainer to me that people should be treated equally, not stereotyped or discriminated against or despised. But reading this writer's very honest reflection on his childhood illuminates for me the incredible work that has to be done for even well-meaning folks to overcome the baggage they've been spoonfed most of their lives --from society, from popular culture, from their own neighborhoods and families.
It reminds me even more that patience, grace and forgiveness are key to achieving the kind of fair society we all say we want to have.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-racist-past-20130225,0,1981054.story
So what do you all think of these articles and their themes?
2 comments:
The Marissa Meyer thing.... I have different thoughts than the popular opinion since I do telecommute. And my thoughts are:
- she was brought in to whip a failing company into shape. Maybe Yahoo didn't want to hear it but people were abusing the system. So let people come into the office, prove they can work remote, and maybe she will give it back. This is what execs do - they change policies they perceive are not working. Big changes at my company when we got a new CTO... 50% of our technology group got fired. At least they still have jobs.
- she gets paid a lot of money bc she works a lot of hours and takes on a lot of responsibility. I'm married to someone on a similar track and I think people know the sacrifices our family makes. He is compensated for that, as is she. And if she wants to build a nursery with her own money so she can work 100 hour weeks and still get to see her kid, well, she worked hard to be the boss so she can do it.
As for the Facebook thing, it goes back to the fundamental question - what is Facebook for? I sugarcoat things bc Facebook is not where I live my real life. I blog the more important details, and I try to keep an honest view of our life there. But even that? Gets hard as the kids get older.
Loved this post, Tanika. I love how thoughtful you are about the world we live in. And I totally agree with Laura's assessment about Marissa. It's not about telecommuting as an option or not an option. It's about her attempt to turn Yahoo around. She needs to get rid of dead weight and keep people who are uber-committed. Maybe people really do collaborate better when they're physically together. Who knows. Either it will pay off big or it won't. I do worry that it will set back the "cause" of workplace flexibility. But I think the ability to have flexibility is so so so dependent on the kind of job people do and the kind of person you are. I could not be productive telecommuting and I don't think I would like it. But being able to work from home while wating for the cable guy? That I would like to be able to do.
Anyway, like I said, I love that you posted all these links. :-)
Post a Comment