Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend museums, hikes and chai tea

This weekend Lester took Clair to the Science Center and I took the boys to the Walters Art Museum for some art-making and museum-exploring.

The activity was called "A Horse of Course," and was really fun. There were scissors, markers, "model magic" and pretend hay involved. How could it not be?

"Drop-in Art Activities: A Horse of Course - Saddle up as we explore equestrian artwork throughout the month of August. Drop-in, make, and take a fantastic piece of art home." 


The theme was horses. The boys made horses out of clay and stables. I helped Cary with his, but he drew the eye and the nose himself. And he did the legs and ear.
Dean insisted on making his all by himself,  without help, as you can see.  (I did casually mention that horses have 4 legs and not 6, so he took two away.) The instructor lovingly called his creation "Horse-o-saurus."

The boys did so great at the museum -- even on our hour-long walk throughout the building, looking at all kinds of things that are not really for 3-year-olds. But they loved it, and didn't want to leave.

But food was calling all of us. So we stopped at Kumari, my favorite Indian/Nepalese spot for lunch buffet. It was a rainy day, so chai tea was in order. I even let the boys sip some. Afterward, Dean said, "Mommy, I don't want my water. I want adult tea."

I love that my kids eat Indian! What they didn't eat, I happily finished!
While we were gone, Lester -- who wasn't feeling so well -- stayed home and rested with Clair, who took an epic 3-and-a-half-hour nap.

But the next day, the boys had a playdate with Hugo! So Lester took her to the Science Center, on a Daddy-daughter date. Lester said she had a ball! And the three musketeers and I went on a "hike" along the Herring Run.
Dean, Cary, Hugo and I explored exposed roots, mud puddles, the rushing stream and hidden caves.
It was a great weekend -- the temperature was ridiculously perfect -- and I am starting to get sad that the summer is almost over.

2 comments:

DCAngel said...

What a great weekend! And such cute kids (as always). LOVE the Horse-o-saurus! A "fantastic piece of art" indeed. :)

But I feel a little misled. I was all excited about the title of this post because this morning for the first time in over a year or so, I felt the need for and purchased a chai tea. What about the chai, Tanika?!

DCAngel said...

Yeah, still a bit of a letdown. Not your fault I suppose -- I had built it up in my head as some epic chai story (involving clowns and spies, perhaps).