Surprisingly, I have been fine with this fact, thinking, "Oh, I'll get to it."
But then I read this:
Between ages 1 and 2, the cerebral cortex adds more than 2 million new synapses — the connections between brain cells — every second, according to Zero to Three, a nonprofit educational group. By age 2, your toddler will have more than 100 trillion synapses, the most she'll ever have in her life. That's part of the reason she has such an incredible capacity to learn.
This period of "synaptic exuberance" can last until age 8, but it's also accompanied by the constant pruning of unused synapses. By the time your child reaches adulthood, more than 50 percent of those neural pathways will be gone.
And now I am freaking the funk out! Me somewhat adopting an easy-breezy, parent-of-three attitude toward child-rearing is ruining my child! I have got to get going with my poor little youngest baby girl, whose synaptic exuberance is being snuffed out by my horrible parenting.
Did you read that paragraph? Her unused synapses are being PRUNED right now! While Cary and Dean subject her to watching "Daniel Tiger" and "Super Why" a thousand times every weekend, she is being PRUNED! Like a stubby little tree! Pruned!
I should have known this was the case. Consider:
- Clair does not know any Arabic.
- Clair eats tissues that she finds on the floor.
- Clair does not know her left from her right.
- Clair chokes (and soaks) herself every time she tries to drink from a cup.
- Clair says "You're welcome!" when she's supposed to say "Thank you!" Even if you say, "Say thank you, Clair!" she says, "You're welcome!"
- Clair still calls Cary "Dee."
- Clair poops, then comes and tells us, "Pee-Pee."
I suck at parenting.
P.S. Also, I wish I never knew that children add synapses EVERY SECOND!! I need a drink.
4 comments:
I think you need some CTFD parenting.
http://www.thedaddycomplex.com/post/55268573331/latest-parenting-trend-the-ctfd-method
HAHAHAHAHA.
And yes I do know you are kidding. (kind of)
Girl, I see your photos on IG and FB all the time where Clair is doing all kinds of awesome things. If you think hanging out with her 97 year old great great grandfather isn't building any synapses then I don't know what is!
Oh this made me laugh. I spat out my tea at the eating tissues part. I have some of the same feelings watching my girl watch TV with her big bros, something they never would have done at her age...
LOL!!!
And also, I hate you.
Lawd, this is too funny! When my kids were small the first thing I did when they went to bed was smoke a joint and drink wine. Never read any articles and there was no internet. There were 3 other mothers that joined me and we laughed and cried together for years. Our kids did fine. As I've said before - you are a great Mom and your kids are blessed because of you and Lester.
Post a Comment