Thursday, September 26, 2013

Three cheers for Lester! (And other family Davis tidbits)

My friend David introduced me to a video that reminds me so much of the kind of man I married. I can't stop watching this super-cute video. I love it that I married a man who I know, without a doubt, would get out there and do this with our own little spirited girl one day.

https://weallsupport.com/this-is-an-awesome-dad/

As it happens, today is Lester's birthday! So let's hear it for all the good men and great Dads out there like him. Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-hooray! Hip-hip-HOORAY!

Now...let's get a little bit rowdy! R-O-W-D-Y! :-)

Happy birthday, Les!I've got big plans for us this weekend!

###

In other news, Clair and I went to Atlanta Friday through Monday. We had a great time visiting my dear friend Neelofer, her husband Anthony and their beautiful, sweet-as-can-be kids.

Suraya, Kadin and Clair at the Atlanta Zoo.
Clair looking at the flamingos, being reminded of Baltimore!
It was so great to sit up until the wee hours with Neelofer, eating chocolate chip cookies and talking about everything under the sun. We laughed, we cried, we were bleary-eyed in the morning. It was perfect.

Clair did amazingly well on the plane! She was busy, of course, up and down on my lap, peeking at the people in front of us and behind us, making a mess of snacks everywhere and playing with every toy I brought with us. But there were no meltdowns or crying jags. Everyone around us thought she was hilarious.

She was incredibly clingy though, once we were on land and hanging out with Neelofer and her family. She wouldn't let anyone hold her and swatted at the kids when they tried to come near her. She did show some moments of sweetness, like when Suraya wanted to hold her hand at breakfast.

Look how sweet they are!
But for the most part, she was attached to me at the hip and very possessive of her personal space and anything she thought belonged to her (even things that belonged to them.) I love my baby girl very much, but I will be so glad when she grows out of that phase. Sheesh.

###

My Deanie got a little recognition card yesterday from the head of the pre-school. It said, Dean is a team player!" and on the back, Miss Katie hand-wrote:"Thank you for sharing trains with your friends!" He was so ridiculously proud of that card, he wanted to carry it with him (back) to school, in his little sweatshirt pocket. So I let him. You should have seen his happy little face.

But this, unexpectedly, made Cary upset. HE wanted a card from Miss Katie, too. Nothing I offered him would placate him. I tried to explain that Dean earned his card by being a good friend and sharer. Cary was inconsolable. In order to get us out the door and to school on time, I told him I would talk to Miss Katie and ask her to give him a card.

So when I saw her this morning in the drop-off line, I did just that. I told her how much Dean loved the card but that Cary was upset that he didn't get one. She explained that Dean really went above and beyond yesterday, happily and sweetly sharing his toys with a classmate who wanted to play with them. She and Miss Michelle were both so impressed, she felt like she really wanted to recognize Dean. But she said she understood what I was saying and that she'd make an effort to spot Cary doing something good and give him a card today. It was a pleasant and sorta funny conversation, and on my way back to my car, I stopped and told Cary I talked to Miss Katie -- he was so happy! Dean was happy. And I was happy! Yay, right?

Not so much. Now, I have meddler's remorse. I thought I was doing the right thing. But now I feel bad that I did that. That was like a Supreme Helicopter Parent move, wasn't it? Like, textbook.

Here's the thing that is really ironic. I prefaced my whole chat with Miss Katie by saying, "I'm really not one of those parents who think that kids should get recognition for nothing!" And then I basically said, in so many words, "Umm, but could you give my kid something for nothing?"

Ugh!

I am kicking myself! At least Miss Katie said she would wait until she actually saw him doing something worth recognizing before giving him a card. That elevates this story from being completely pathetic to being only somewhat pathetic.

Note to self: Get it together. girl. Don't be one of "those" parents!

2 comments:

DCAngel said...

Lol!!! Okay, I was reading through this story about Cary and Dean, feeling like maybe you shouldn't be doing that, but I tried to put myself in your place, and you know what I came up with? I came up with the saying, This shit is hard. That's it.

Samantha and Clair are kindred spirits. I thought she would grow out of this when she could crawl, and then walk, and now I'm hoping that she'll be happily independent when she can communicate what she wants. But it may just be that all she wants is me. I'm trying not to wish this away too quickly given the karma I've got coming to me when she becomes a teenager.

DCAngel said...

P.S. Happy Birthday, Lester!! On behalf of Tanika, and the world, thank you for being an Oh-Those-Boys-Are-Much-Too-Much kind of dad! :D