(Sidenote: My parents visited on Sunday and at one point Dad says to me, "You are so enamored with Clair," which is the second time someone has said that to me. [The other was my mother, come to think of it, when Clair was a tiny infant.] Is it that obvious how much I adore this girl? Do I need an intervention?)
We went to her tumbling class and then to the mall to buy a gift for a friend of mine who recently got married.
| She loves this ball pit o' germs. |
| Introducing her to food court Asian food! |
![]() | |
| Dean, wearing the wings he and Lester made, and looking like a young Sidney Poitier, who, by the way, is one of Lester's favorite actors! |
![]() |
| Antony and Dean bird-watching. |
![]() |
| Checking out a bird's nest. Mari tells me the boys were none-too-pleased that the bird wasn't considerate enough to be home while they were shaking that tree. |
| Abby and Maya came with us! |
| She wanted to be gently pushed without stopping, to the point where she was ever-so-slightly falling asleep in the swing. LOL. |
I was so much more relaxed and present all day. I think that was the nicest thing -- being actually present with them, instead of running on fumes and frustration.
Being at home would also be nice, because it would be good to get to do the things *I* want to do with the children during the day, instead of hoping Michelle will do them (which, most of the time, she doesn't.)
And it would be lovely to get to spend more than two hours a day with the children I actually prayed for.
But we are committed to sending our children to private school, for many reasons (which I promise I will get to in a dedicated blog post soonest), and to giving them a life of experiences that we believe will enrich them and improve their futures. And, while we are far from wealthy, we also hope that we can do more for them financially than our parents ever could, in terms of helping them pay for school, or buy a first home. By doing so, we hope the kids as adults will be in even better positions than we are, so that their kids will be even better off coming out of the starting gate. We want to leave a legacy that maybe our grandchildren will realize -- something that happens far too infrequently in the black community, sad to say it.
So that means Momma Gotsta Go To Work. (Cue Vanessa Williams' "Work to Do.")
So I'll cram a lot of fun and Mommy-and-me time into weekends and post-work-hours during the week, and trust that a little dance partying goes a long way.



1 comment:
Remember that the grass is always greener. Always. There are some pretty amazing things about being a WOTH mom. And you do have days where you get to do the things you want to do with the kids. If you were home with them every day, you might be more like Michelle. Your kids are not missing out on anything that matters. :-)
Post a Comment