Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Words and sounds of the Davis boys

Since I don't keep a traditional baby book, I need to post here the exciting things my children can do. Walking (a little bit) is exciting, but nothing is more thrilling to me than hearing them begin to verbalize more and more. One day, I'll be able to have a conversation with my sweeties and know what they're thinking! (Until they become teenagers and lock themselves in their rooms, armed with iPods and earphones)...

Until then, here are some of the words and sounds the boys say and/or mimic:

Dean

  1. Bbbbbu = ball
  2. Zhhuu = shoe
  3. pooooo = spoon
  4. Deeeee = Dean
  5. cap-cap = clap clap (from Skippyjon Jones)
  6. uh = up
  7. dah = down
  8. Dada = Daddy (and sometimes Mommy)
  • ah-AH = uh-oh
Cary

  1. Nana = banana
  2. shoo = shoe
  3. poon = spoon
  4. boon = balloon
  5. dan = fan
  6. man = man (or woman, or boy or girl)
  7. Dee = Dean
  8. Dada = Daddy and Mommy, interchangeably
  9. brruh = brush
  10. boo-ruh = toothbrush
  11. cap-cap = clap clap (from Skippyjon Jones)
  12. uh-nuh = hello! (holding any oblong object up to his ear)
  13. uh = up
  14. dah = down
  • cak cak = quack quack (duck)
  • brrmm brrrm = tractor or car
  • boom boom = Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • mamamamama = "Mama, Mama, Mama" from the book "Please, Baby, Please"
  • ah-ah-ah-ah-ah! = monkey sound
  • eeemum-mum-mum-ay = "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"
  • (growling) "Grrrdah" = when he sees my Dad (Granddad), because he has a gruff voice
  • ah-AH = uh-oh

Keep up the good work, boys!

It seems as if Cary is more verbal right now than Dean, but Dean is holding his own. Also, Dean is way more physical than Cary. He can crawl all the way up the stairs unassisted, whereas Cary cries at the bottom of the stairs for someone to carry him (divo!)...Dean also has learned how to climb up both the little ladder and the slide on the climbing toy we got them for their birthday. Cary just looks on in envy.

So, the boys will do things in their own time, at their own pace. One thing I am proud of about myself as a parent is that (at least in this one area) I am pretty level-headed about that fact.

Meanwhile, note to Davis boys:

I know it might be asking a lot, but could you work on saying "Mama," when you see me, instead of Dada?!

Thanks! Love you!

2 comments:

Janna said...

My boys didn't say "Mama" until 18 months old! Their first words were "Dada" and "Cru" (the dog's name) but I got NOTHING until 18 months... ungrateful little babies :)

Tanika Davis said...

Ungrateful is right! LOL. Although my sister tells me I'll rue the day when all I hear all day long is, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! MOM!"
Wait a sec -- you're probably already there!