We came in to the class, and while the boys were happily playing with trucks, we announced that we were leaving and waited a couple seconds for the realization to sink in. Both boys looked distressed. Cary began to bawl. Being the wuss that I am, I hurried out, while Lester lingered a little longer to offer more hugs. Dean angrily pushed him away, tears welling up in his eyes.The hugging just made Cary bawl harder.
I moved faster for the door.
Once in the hallway, we both paused for a minute, unsure what to do. And then Lester walked back, peeked in and said both boys had stopped crying!
I was relieved.
Since school was only 90 minutes long today, we dropped Clair off at home with Michelle and went to our fave coffee shop/bookstore for coffee and a quick breakfast. It was nice to have breakfast together and talk incessantly about our boys and the ever-changing, ever-busy schedule we keep.
We purposely arrived back at school 5 minutes early to pick them up, so that I could peek in and see how they were doing.
| Me, doing exactly what Miss Toni told us not to do: standing in the doorway, peeking in the window. |
They were both playing and loosely hanging out, not looking exactly thrilled but not crying either.
I was relieved.
We came in to get them. Both boys grinned so wide and said, "MOMMY! DADDY!" so happily, it made my heart melt. Then they played some more while I talked to the teachers.
| I'm not saying a word about what each boy was doing, because I refuse to reinforce Cary and Dean stereotypes. |
| I'm not saying a word about what each boy was doing, because I refuse to reinforce Cary and Dean stereotypes. |
Both boys had a "rough" day, the Daily Report sheet said.
Written on Cary's sheet, a handwritten note said, "Cary cried 1/2 the day."
Written on Dean's sheet, as well: "Dean cried 1/2 the day."
Miss Toni said they really only calmed down toward the last 10 minutes of the day -- when it was snack time (why am I not surprised?)
But they looked fine when Lester peeked in on our way out, and when I peeked in on our way to pick them up! I'm so confused. When did they start crying again? And why? And for 75-plus minutes?? What's that all about? I know this is normal and that it will get better over time (probably not before it gets worse first) but still ...it makes me a little melancholy.
The good news is, as we were leaving, both boys said good-bye to Miss Toni, who gave them each a sticker, and they truly seemed to be just fine, no worse for wear. They even said, "See you tomorrow!"
| Hugs and stickers make everything better. |
Isn't that sweet? He thought we forgot her somewhere, the same way we obviously forgot them at pre-school. Hahaha.
Oh boys, we'd never forget you. All I do is think about you both all day. And even though I'm not 100-percent sold on Miss Toni, I can tell that she is a warm person, who gives hugs and stickers freely.
And that means a lot.
Also, thank you so much for being SUCH awesome boys, and sending Mommy flowers today to let me know that you are really enjoying school, despite crying "1/2 the day."
| This came for me today from Cary and Dean!! What a lovely, lovely surprise. |
That's why you cried and cried and cried some more today. You're so freakin' smart, you knew she'd give you a sticker at the end!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for cluing me in, boys.
I am so relieved.

2 comments:
Okay, I know that this post isn't about him, but can I just say that I heart Lester??
As for them crying half the day, hmmm. That's a lot of crying. I'm thinking Toni might exaggerate a wee bit. At any rate, it'll get better! Congratulations big boys for making it through the first day without mommy and daddy!
I agree with DCAngel. Exaggeration is what I thought and as for the flowers... all of your boys are wonderful!
Post a Comment