Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Soccer cuteness/hilarity

The boys started a soccer clinic for 3-year-olds last night! Hilarity!

They had their shin guards, their water bottles, their athletic shorts and sneakers and they were so excited. Seriously, they've been asking every day for a week, "Is it soccer day yet?"

At the soccer season's opening event - a pancake breakfast for families - Lester agreed to be the coach of the boys' team, when the league administrators begged mentioned that they needed a few more parents to come forward and take on the task. This was hysterical to me because Lester has never played soccer and knows nothing about it. But the admins assured him that really, with 3-year-olds, no knowledge is necessary. "Patience," they told him, "is really all you need."

Last night, we witnessed the truth of that. Lester did a truly wonderful job, truly, I was impressed! But wrangling eight keyed-up 3-year-olds on an open field? Not a job for the faint of heart.

Four adults to 7 children? Yeah, that's about right.
Look how coach-like my sweetie looks!
 My friend Stacey and I sat on the sidelines (Hugo is on the same team!) and it was great to get a chance to just sit and do nothing, on a beautiful fall evening, while the kids were being entertained. At first, Clair kept running onto the field, desperate to be a part of whatever her brothers are doing at all times. But once I gave in and let her play with my iPhone (judgers, shut it up!) she was content to sit on my lap and swipe and poke away. Note to self: Don't EVER forget phone.

Hey Dean, this is soccer, not football.
All Cary and Dean really wanted to do was take water breaks.


There's Hugo! And Dean, running AWAY from the action.
Mostly, though, it was super cute watching the kids run and do "drills," and try their hardest to listen.


This is going to be a super-fun fall, watching them "play games" every Saturday and practice every Tuesday from now to November. Can't wait to witness all the hilarity!

Sidenote: The other father in the gray shirt,Francis? He played soccer all his life, including in college, and has two professional-soccer-playing brothers. He also has twins, a girl and a boy who were in the boys' class last year, Miles and Isla. Best thing my super-smart hubby did yesterday: Asked Francis to be his assistant coach! Ch-ching!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Awwww! They are so, so cute. And kudos to Lester for stepping up! All the other parents will be so grateful (and probably already are!). I'm coaching baseball again this fall (baseball, not t-ball--but I have another parent to do the skills-teaching part, lol). No one told us we'd be doing this as parents, huh?

Kelly said...

OMG this is full of goodness! Dean and Cary are NOT playin. Check out their stance! They get it from their dad, apparently. Go lester! Also, I am awed that you guys have it together enough to do this on a weeknight. Where do you find the energy?

Naomi starts "soccer" on Saturday. I put this in quotes because, really, I expect ridiculousness.

Unknown said...

I love this. They are so hyped in the video. Lester had me fooled - he sure looks like he played soccer. LOL!!