Tuesday, January 31, 2012

36 weeks ...and the clock is ticking

I am officially 9 months pregnant, as of today!

This is mind-boggling to me, since I only made it to 8 months with Cary and Dean, and I thought I was going to die from exhaustion and discomfort then.

I'm prayerful that she will stay in as long as necessary to be healthy and ready to be in the outside world. And of course I am fretting about how having a newborn will upset the entirety of my life -- and that of everyone in my house, too.

But it sure feels good to know that I won't have to be pregnant too much longer. I'm at the point where getting out of bed -- especially with a full bladder (which is a given) -- takes real effort. Grunting, groaning, rolling, physical effort. Bending is out of the question. Stairs are like mountains.

Curve Ball is a huge solid mass, taking up almost all the space in my core. There's so little room that when I have to pinch some fat to give myself an insulin injection, it really has gotten incredibly difficult, and I end up injecting wherever I can. She's head down, and has been for a couple weeks. She's low, low, low, and is creating incredible pressure on my groin area. Sometimes, it's hard to walk because of all the pressure. I'm tired and somewhat grouchy and I want to EAT A BROWNIE, fer crying out loud!!

But I am also fascinated and enamored with the evidence of her little heel, scraping across my ribcage. She often pokes her little foot up and I can't believe that that is my daughter's little foot -- right there, announcing itself so severely and sweetly at the same time.

I keep peeking in her room (which I hope will be done soon so I can post photos) and I can't help but smile. She has a room! She has tiny little clothes! She has a teddy bear!

My mom is throwing a little baby shower for me this weekend -- so small we're calling it a "sprinkle" -- and I am excited to see some friends and family, and open up little boxes of sweet girl clothes. Once I get all that stuff, I'll wash everything I've gotten -- both new and handed-down -- and put her things away in her drawers.

(Two things she's already gotten from her very giddy father, who, by the way, did not buy his sons one item of clothing when I was carrying them! Not one. But his little daughter?? Well, she must have a little bathtime bunting with ducks on it, and a pink sleeper bearing a cupcake! She just must!)

And then, at some point, we really do have to figure out what's happening with the car seat situation. But other than those last few things, we are ready for our lovebug.

Our house is ready. My body is more than ready.

And my heart ...well, I think my heart has been ready before I ever knew she existed.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Awwww. Your last line made me cry. So sweet! And I must say, Lester has great taste. Thinking of you in these final weeks. Can't wait to meet her! (And I can't believe I didn't grill you for her name when I saw you! Or did I?)

Tanika Davis said...

No, you didn't grill me! I was surprised and relieved. Cuz I probably would have caved. I'm terrible at secrets! How are the boys and all the coughing, hacking, wheeziness? I hope better. After all, tomorrow starts FEBRUARY!! So sickness needs to be gone!

DCAngel said...

Awwwww, what a sweet post. And how cute is it that Lester bought clothes?? Daddy's little girl already...

Nine months! I can't believe it. Congratulations!! It really did go by so fast. Get this: I'm already grunting getting out of bed - by the time I get to nine months with these two (and I WILL get to nine months with them), I'll need some kind of sophisticated pulley system to hoist my butt out of there.

I can't wait to see pictures of the nursery!

Candice Baptiste said...

I am so excited about Curveball that I'm about to burst. Have fun at the sprinkle this weekend.