Monday, January 31, 2011

How sweet it is

During the throes of the newborn and early-infant stage of Cary and Dean's life, I wish someone could have shown me a crystal ball image of what life would be like for us at this point. As they approach 9-months, these two little babies have become the sweetest things ever!

Cary squeals -- literally squeals -- when he's excited. When we come in a room, he squeals. When we tickle his slender frame, he squeals. When we nuzzle in and kiss his sweet-smelling neck, he squeals. Sometimes, when he's just plodding across the room on his belly and forearms, he'll stop, inexplicably and squeal. It's like he's just delighted to be in motion, on his way somewhere, no matter if the "somewhere" is just under a dining room chair. He is adorable and hysterical. His giggles are like milk chocolate drops, dipped in caramel sauce.

And Dean...sweet, sweet Deanie. He is so lovable and loving, it's as darling as can be. He loves to hug and snuggle us; he even reaches for Cary and tries to love him up!! Awww, those early signs of brotherly love melt my heart! I think I've already mentioned how he "kisses" us, by leaning in and planting a wet open mouth on your cheek or chin or forehead or mouth. (When he kisses Cary, it's usually the back of his head, for some reason.) He loves to be close, and Lester loves how satisfying his weight feels when he sits Dean on his lap, or when he's lying on Lester's chest. And I love how he gazes at me, like I'm a Hollywood beauty queen and he's in love! Dean's love makes me feel heady and warm. His affection is like manna from Heaven.

If only I could have seen these days when I was up every three hours, and unsure of myself, wondering how I could make it through another day with not one but two screaming creatures, I think I would have been a much less anxious Mommy. Love makes everything all worth it.

No comments: