Thursday, March 3, 2011

9-month-checkup

The boys had their 9-month-checkup today. It was pretty uneventful, even considering the fact that there was a shot involved! (Last of the Hep B series.)

Here's the basics:

Cary weighs 18 lbs., 5 oz. and is 27 and 3/4 inches long.
Dean weighs 20 lbs., 15 oz. and is 29 and 1/4 inches long.
(When do we stop saying "long" and start saying "tall?" I guess when they can stand?)

Both boys are doing so well, Dr. Bodnar says the boys should be completely age appropriate (in terms of their relative prematurity) by age 1. Whoo-hooo!! I feel really good about that, but I don't know if I'll ever completely stop wondering if prematurity may be affecting them in some way. It might become more and more faint over time...like, it'll be a vapor of a worry as opposed to a huge cloud hanging over my head. But I have a feeling it will always be there just a little bit.

I also learned today that the boys can now eat table food, like 100-percent of the time. Wow! This is a big one for me. I mean, babies eat baby food, right? Hence the name. So this is more proof that my babies are growing up, and fast!

It also poses a bit of a complication. I hate to say this, but baby food is easy! It comes already prepared, in the right consistency and portion size. We buy the organic kind, so it's healthy and not too seasoned or buttery or sweet (the way I like all my foods). Giving my boys table food means I'm going to have to actually prepare their food. When they started on solids a few months ago, I honestly tried to be the kind of mom who made their food. I boiled the sweet potatoes and mashed and froze them in huge Tupperware dishes they could never ever hope to finish. I baked the spaghetti squash, and it turned out too stringy for them to eat without choking half to death. I cooked and mashed frozen peas, but didn't know I needed to de-hull them first. They hated those!

In the end, I determined that it took way too much time and was a major pain (Just my opinion. I really do applaud moms who can and do prepare their baby's food).

But now, developmentally, they don't need the baby food, so I guess I have to step up my game.
The doctor suggested a baby food grinder or food processor, neither of which do we own. So I guess we'll buy one this weekend. Do we need one of those? Advice, please.

I sound whiny, but actually, I'm sorta looking forward to introducing them to real foods. Lester says we're going out for breakfast on Saturday. I see a waffle in my boys' future! And in mine!
Yummmmm!

4 comments:

Janna said...

Here are some ideas to feed them that don't need to be coooked = bananas, avocados, shredded cheese and frozen peas and corn. My boys still love frozen peas and corn - weird, yes, but easy! :)

Tanika Davis said...

Thanks, Janna! How do you prepare and serve the avocado? I'd like them to try some.

Janna said...

Hi Tanika!

You don't really have to do anything to the avocado, except cut/smash it into small enough pieces for them to eat. If it's too mushy, you might have to feed them w/ a spoon, but usually you can just slice the avocado into pieces they can grab...

Unknown said...

Here's something I wish I'd done w/Maddie: black beans. She won't touch 'em now, which makes all those "easy" winter soups kind of impossible. Anyway, as long as it doesn't make them too gassy, it might be worth trying. You can smush them with a spoon or between your fingers. Also, you probably know this already but try giving them banana at the same time as you give them avocado, like in the same meal. The avocado and banana together will balance the effects of each one alone. The one time I gave Maddie a bunch of avocado made for a gross, messy, stinky middle-of-the-night exploding diaper. Blech. That put me off giving her avocado for a loooong time, and then, like the beans, I missed my window for reintroducing it. She won't touch it now.