Sunday, March 6, 2011

Girlfriends are the greatest!

About two months ago, my friend Jen wrote an e-mail to a few new moms, asking if we could get together and talk about the many challenges of attempting to find a work-life-mommy-marriage balance. Over waffles and cocktails at a trendy Midtown restaurant, we determined that there is no such Holy Grail. And in fact, people should stop calling it a "balance," dangit! It's more like a work-life-mommy-marriage unbalance.

From there, the Unbalanced Mommy Group was born.

Today we met again, this time with babies in tow, because a number of us couldn't get away without the kiddos. Which was actually cool, because the babies got to play with (more like near) each other, and we got to eat creme brulee French toast (made sinfully delicious by Jen!) and kvetch.

Here's a pic of some of the babies who were literally EVERYWHERE during our brunch:




We decided we'll meet this way -- one time with the babies; the next time without -- for as long as it's convenient and necessary.

I, for one, hope that's a long, long time, because I honestly don't know where I'd be without my girlfriends. I have many, from all points throughout my life. Some are married; some divorced or still looking. Some have teenaged kids or kids close to Cary and Dean's age; some have none at all. Some are former journalists like me; others had the sense enough to get real jobs. (Hahaha! Just a joke for all the journos). Some I talk to just about every day; others I wish I could talk to far more often. Each one brings something different to my life. But they are all various shades of awesome.

I love my husband, my family and my kids. But I can say that I am blessed to also have really good friends, both old and new, who I also love.

So even if you're not an Unbalanced Mommy, I want to give props to you, dear friends. So here's to: Desiree, Neelofer, Candice, Lisa, Laurie, Su, Jill, Kelly, Andrea, Naita, Lynn, Stacey, Stephanie S., Stephanie D., Monica, Juanita, Carla, Angel, Theola, Mari, Jen, Jessica, Sumathi, Shreya, Erin, Erika, Olivia ... and many others!

You all support and love me in so many ways, and I'm grateful to God for each one of you!

Since this is Show me the Mommy Sunday, here are pictures the incomparable Jen McMenamin took during our Unbalanced Mommies group:

I have no idea why Cary was fussing here; but Dean is enthralled with the balloons Stacey brought for the kids.


This is Dean's usual look; I love that Jen caught it.

Cary is still looking distressed, but at least you can see here what beautiful eyes he has. And LOOK at my Deanie's cute little smile. Don't you just want to eat him?!

No comments: