So last night, Cary drank just about his whole bottle and fell asleep before his head hit the mattress.
I prayed he would stay asleep, and even talked to Cary while he was drinking about how much Mommy would appreciate it if he stayed asleep all night. Does that sound crazy?
Maybe so, but apparently he and God decided to accommodate me because Cary slept through the night! Not a peep out of him from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.!
Whooo-hoooo, right?! Not quite.
At 3 a.m., a baby began moaning. At 3:20, the baby was still moaning. At 3:50 the baby's moaning ratcheted up a notch. At 4:10, up another notch. At 4:15, a pitiful little cry escaped from the baby and I could take no more.
I went in the boys' room and the baby was my little Deanie! Poor thing was moaning and half crying! He had rolled over onto his back and couldn't (or wouldn't) move back. So I rolled him over, put his blanket on him, gave him Lovey the Puppy and left. He was asleep before I closed the door.
If you notice, however, I was awake from 3 a.m. to 4:15. Sigh.
But even worse: It turns out poor Deanie has a cold! (Which might explain the moaning and the tossing and turning over in the crib.) He woke up this morning with a face covered in crud. Poor baby!
Michelle says he was snotty all day. And tonight, I've had to go into his room once already to prop him up on a pillow to help him breathe. Again I say, Pooooooor thing!
So I am steeling myself up for another long night. And then when Cary gets it -- and he WILL get it. Oh yes. He WILL get it -- another couple of weeks of long nights.
Cary will wake up for a few days because he can't breathe, and then, after a few more days, he'll wake up out of habit and need a bottle to soothe himself back to sleep.
And you know what will happen once Cary gets over the cold? I'll have to re-wean him from the bottle. Again.
This is either "Groundhog Day" or "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Or Sleepless in Baltimore!
Clearly, I'm delirious. Good night.
P.S. Cary started clapping! Only imitating us, mind you, not spontaneously out of joy or excitement. But he is putting palm to palm two or three times in a row. Hooray!
2 comments:
You crack me up!
I can remember discussing at length with my babies how they were going to sleep all night (and go to sleep without crying) before they could even walk or talk. And then if they did it, I was convinced that they really understood my lecture - ha!
Sorry to hear Dean is sick. Maybe Cary won't get it this time (here's hoping for a miracle!)
They did understand! They did!
When they didn't do what you asked, it's only because they were being willful and obstinate. Hahaha!
Post a Comment