Monday, June 13, 2011

12 Things

Things to note since my last post:

Cary fell off the bed this morning. Like Humpty Dumpty.
So honoring the egg-like way he took his tumble, I thought I'd list a dozen things going on in the boys' and our lives.

1. Cary slid headfirst onto the floor this morning. It's his inaugural fall, and it was a doozy. I tried to grab him by his little feet, but I wasn't quick enough. And boy did he wail. But you know what was so weird? I felt immensely sorry for him, of course, but I was also just the teensiest bit gratified to have him let me hold him and rock him for an extended period of time. He was so sweet all curled up in my arms, rubbing his little eyes and pouting. That baby just melts my heart!

2. Cary started saying "uh-oh" when something falls (or mostly when he throws things to the floor) and today I heard Dean say "ah-AH" when he threw one of the bathtub letters out of the tub. So cute!

3. In fact, Dean is finally starting to verbalize just a little bit. He's begun with saying "UH!" and throwing his arms up in the air, and then saying "Duhh," and flinging his arms back down. Cary and Dean both do this and find it to be loads of fun.

4. I gave Dean the cloth napkin today at dinner and told him to wipe his face, and he did. No big deal. But then I told him to wipe Mommy's face, and he leaned forward in the chair and DID! So funny that my boys are beginning to really understand things!

5. Cary and Dean have started to play together, just a little bit. Moms of twins will know that this is a real milestone, and something you sorta wait for, as every single person you ever meet will ask you, "Do they play together?" or say, "Well, at least they'll have each other to play with." And you wait and wait while they ignore each other and think, hmmmm. Am I missing something? But just this week, Dean has started "chasing" Cary, and playfully falling onto Cary's fleeing torso. Cary giggles uncontrollably when he does it, and then wriggles free and speed-crawls away, then looks back over his shoulder, waiting for Dean to do it again. It's the most adorable thing. I tried to get it on video, but when I started walking up the stairs, Dean noticed I was leaving the room and immediately kicked Cary to the curb to come crawling and crying after me. Gotta remember to keep my phone or camera handy at all times, people!

6. Cary and Dean also have started actually fighting. It's very mild, and people who don't know how benign their little spats used to be would probably laugh at what I call fighting. But Lester has noticed it too. Their tugs are a lot more forceful, their angry grunts a lot angrier. Dean has meanly pushed Cary over and pulled him angrily to the ground. And yesterday, while having a tug-o-war over a piece of candy wrapper paper they found God-knows-where, Cary seriously banged Dean in the head with his little fist like three or four times. I am truly amazed at how early this kind of thing starts! And before the judgment police weigh in, we don't spank our boys, they don't watch TV, and Lester has never gone Ike Turner on me. So where do they learn this stuff? (Full disclosure: Lester and I both laughed a little when Cary was pummeling Dean in the head, because it was like watching a mosquito try to box with a rhinoceros! Dean never even noticed!)

7. Lester and I looked at a house for sale in the neighborhood where we want to live and FELL. IN. LOVE. Too bad we have not even started doing any work on the house we own in DC so we can put it on the market. Sigh. I wish we had never even seen the house. Waaaaah. ("Pity party, your table is ready.")

8. Cary still calls me Dada.

9. Dean still has no teeth.

10. I have to come up with a list of things to accomplish this summer (or I might stretch it to "this time next year") and it's sorta stressing me out. So the first thing on my list is: Get started on my list!

11. I have agreed to participate in a program in my neighborhood that is intended to encourage more healthful, local foods. It's connected to the charter school of which I'm on the board. I'm getting a container with tomato, eggplant and other plants to put on our front porch. Yes, me. Tanika Davis. And we're also getting a rain barrel from a different, but related, program. I am so excited about this!! I don't have enough yard to really grow things (nor do I have the least bit of experience growing anything!) so this container will be perfect. And I've lately been wanting to get a rain barrel, even though I have no idea what it means to have one! LOL! (You have to laugh at yourself, sometimes). I wish the boys were older so they could participate in this with me, and learn about science and nature and the ecosystem. And also come to appreciate being producers of things, not just consumers. But I guess I'll just have to keep this up until they're old enough to get it. Dear Lord, please color my thumb an energetic, long-lasting shade of green.

12. After coming back from our friends' wedding in West Palm Beach, it seems Lester and I have been bitten by the get-out-of-the-house bug! This Thursday, we went out to see our friend Doug perform a short story at Stoop Stories (he was awesome!) and then sat in the car at Lake Montebello and ate McDonald's and talked. Friday, my sweetie surprised me at work and took me out to Oceanaire for lobster dinner (to celebrate my birthday, which was Saturday). And Saturday, we went out to the Associated Black Charities annual gala (we were invited to sit at the table of clients of mine.) Three nights in a row! Out! Can you believe us? Who do we think we are??

P.S. Just to show you what a good time Lester and I had in West Palm Beach at the wedding, here's a photo of me boogey-ing down with our friend Gerry. Gerry is a dance machine with crazy moves! I look like I am trying to stop myself from falling over. But it is all in great fun!!

1 comment:

LauraC said...

AWESOME dancing picture!