Friday, June 10, 2011

Confession

Confession:

Sometimes I am jealous of SAHMs.

I love my job; I really do. And I enjoy the work as much as I enjoy the idea of being a working woman and what it means for my future and what it communicates to my boys.

But at the same time, I read blogs like this woman's, and I start to feel a little bit cheated.

Don't get me wrong, I have made no secret about having moments of exhaustion, frustration, impatience, etc. when it comes to being the mom of twin boys. Heck, I even tried to sell one of my children on the black market!

But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want more time to sing and laugh and play with them, do crafts and explore the outdoors, read to them and teach them things, eat at cool neighborhood cafes, go to Farmer's Markets and explain to them the importance of farming, run relays and dye eggs, and volunteer places and make mud-pies and play in the rain and on and on and on and on -- all in an effort to show them all that they can do and be. AND...just enjoy them, dangit!

I know I can do a lot of these things on the weekends and in stolen moments during the week, and I do and I will. I will do them even more as they get older and can actually "do" more things. But sometimes, I can't help but think how unfair it is that my basic interaction with them during the week is change them, feed them, kiss them, read one or two books, play with them (a little), GO TO WORK, kiss them, change them, read one or two books, feed them, bathe them, kiss them, put them to bed.

Grrrr.

OK, I'm finished my rant for the day. And I'll continue to read the Chasing Cheerios blog (and others like it) despite my green-eyed envy, because she seems really great and she has good ideas. I'll take 'em wherever I can get 'em.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh man--you're singing my song. I'm really happy with how things are, but sometimes . . . . Having talked to lots of moms, though, the grass is always greener for everyone. Except for one friend I have who works part-time, and pretty much has the perfect life. But I digress. Hang in there and make the most of the moments you have. I figure that more time with my boys is just more opportunities for me to yell at them, so we're all a little better off with how things stand! LOL.

Wiley said...

My confession is I know I couldn't handle being a stay-at-home mom. Wish I could, but know I couldn't.