Friday, February 18, 2011

Cary's off the market.

I have been shamed by my Mom.

Last night on the phone I complained to her about Cary's early wakings and pre-dawn whininess.

I don't understand, I (also) whined. It's not like he wants to play or be held. He just whines and whines for no reason.
She asked me if I fed him when he woke up at 5 or 5:30.
Well, no, I replied. He's on a schedule. He and Dean both eat at 7:30. It's been this way since they were half-past-newborns.
Ummm, hellllo! she said. Cary is moving around now. He's probably moving every waking minute, isn't he?
I had to admit that he was, in fact, moving every waking minute. And even some of his sleeping minutes. That kid is constantly on the go.
Well, since he's more active, he needs more to eat, Mom said, in a reprimanding tone that sent me back to my middle school days. He's burning more and more calories all day. Babies don't just whine at 5:30 a.m. for an hour for nothing.
Hmmph.
Picture me chagrined.
I couldn't even argue with her.
Well, I guess that could be it, I finally mumbled. I hadn't thought of that.

Then I felt immediately like the WWM (world's worst mother). I ignored my child's hunger whines in order to keep him on a schedule! Then, I tried to sell my child on the black market simply because the poor thing was hungry.

I'm pretty sure this gives me the International World Title of Absolute Positive Hands-Down WWM.

So today, when he woke up at 6 (not 5 or 5:30, yay!) he played for awhile with Lester and when he got really whiny at 7, we just fed him. No questions asked. I almost cried. Could it really have been that simple? My little baby was ...hungry. Ugh! I wish I had the last couple days to do over again.

So, no more worrying about the schedule. Cary eats when he's hungry. That's just it.
For the nanny's sake, I hope he's not too off schedule during the day now. It makes life easier for her (having to do it all on her own) when things are somewhat predictable and when both boys eat and nap at roughly the same times.

But other than for that reason, I'm not going to stress anymore about that darn schedule. I have learned two valuable lessons:

1) Babies' needs should always, always come first. Especially when we're talking about them being hungry! (Gracious, I can't even believe I had to be reminded of that! I really am ashamed.)

2) Even at 37 years old, I still need my Mommy. :-)

No comments: