When they were smaller, trying to hold and rock two babies, after having bathed and dressed them by myself, was an ordeal.
And when they got a little bit bigger, and not quite so fragile, they were mini-maniacs at night! Screaming, crying, writhing, unhappy little beings. They were hungry and sleepy and they wanted to sleep and eat and eat and sleep RIGHT. THIS. SECOND. I could not do anything fast enough.
For safety reasons, I had to bathe one, while one sat in a bouncy seat in the bathroom, then lotion and dress the bathed one quickly, and then 1, 2, 3 switch babies! Bathed baby goes in the bouncy seat; unwashed baby goes in the tub. Inevitably, one baby would be impatient and screaming. Many nights, it was both babies.
But now that we have them both in the tub at the same time, and they're big enough to sit up in the tub relatively safely (I say relatively because Dean still thinks he can crawl in the tub, and Cary likes to bend over and attempt to drink the water until he splutters and chokes. Crazy baby!), life is a little easier. I can plop them both in the tub and while one is getting washed, the other one is splashing away happily. When it's time to take them out of the bath, I just drain it first so that when I take one out, there's no water in the tub to potentially drown a crawling or a bathwater-drinking baby. Then I lotion (while wrangling) and dress them in their jammies quickly (quickness is still imperative when bathing two babies, no matter their newfound bathtub enjoyment) and get them their bottles.
(Bonus pic of them in their jammies from this weekend at Nana's:)

By 7:10 tonight, they were both down for the count. Victory for Home Alone Mommy!!
The only thing that gets left out of the Home Alone equation is the holding we usually do at night. Even though we put them down in their cribs still awake, we do still hold them until they're finished drinking their bottles. It's just a little bit of snuggling and cuddling at the end of the day that we don't want to give up just yet.
That's hard to do when there's only one of me, but I was determined to sneak in some individual love-time with each of them when I could. A hug while one was sleepily sucking away; a few kisses while the other was zoning out. I did the best I could.
And though they are little babies, I think they could feel my love.
"And I would hold you for a million years...to make you feel my love."
1 comment:
I put a link to this in my blog...I hope that's alright :)
Post a Comment